VX-6 tracking

CZ527

I am considering a VX-6 for an upcoming build and my biggest concern is whether they track well or not. I'm looking at a 3-18 CDS with zero stop.

The rifle is specifically for long range shooting and I don't even want to mess with the optic if it doesn't track perfectly. I have a few mark 4s and most of them track well with one notable exception that I will send to the factory one of these days.

Anyway, first hand experience would be good.

My other choices are the Burris XTR ii or a Nightforce NXS. I'm not really wanting to spend $2200 but I will if I have to. I also know that I'm not interested in the SHV line from Nightforce.

I am way open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

Have you looked at Killswitch's scope tracking sticky on the Hide?
If not there's a lot of good info to digest here
Doug offers a no holes barred assessment of the scopes he's test

Click linky thingy The Humbler

Perhaps one or two your interested in are among the ones he's tested

If I was constantly twisting turrets Leupold would not be my brand of choice. The VX-6 and Mark 4 don't have very good reputations for tracking accuracy. There are lots of threads and tests on many sites confirming that.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on a Nightforce NSX I'd check out a SWFA SS HD model scope. The glass is very good and the tracking is exceptional.

Last edited:
i have done tracking tests on my 7/42 and my 4/24 and they both ended up within 1/4 inch. my nightforce was just as good but my sightron s3 was quite a bit off. the leupolds just dont have that positive click.

i set mine up after reading the article in heels and handguns. after i seen there short utube video with the piece of plywood and the mark 6 leupold. im sure its not as accurate as killswitchs tests but it was pretty interesting.

I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

I think I'm looking at the 4-20 Burris the hardest as I have not read a single bad review of their adjustments.

If I can find a used NXS before the rifle is done then I'll spring for that for the presumed bonus of better clarity.... Oh and I guess I'll need some more money too!

Originally Posted By: CZ527I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

I think I'm looking at the 4-20 Burris the hardest as I have not read a single bad review of their adjustments.

If I can find a used NXS before the rifle is done then I'll spring for that for the presumed bonus of better clarity.... Oh and I guess I'll need some more money too!

So is this to mount the rifle in ?

Your last choice is the wisest one... NF

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: CZ527I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

If you can swing it, Go with the NF. It will likely be more robust over the long haul. The adjustments seem to be a bit better. However, I feel the XTR II glass is a touch better than the NXS...JMO

Originally Posted By: CZ527 I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

"The Humbler" is a piece of I-beam that has a pic rail mounted to it...get a heavy enough piece and be done with it...no clamping or messing.

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: CZ527I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

No just to mount the scope to.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: CZ527I've been working on a little "device" that includes a block of steel with a rail mounted to the top. I'm going to put wings on the bottom of the steel so I can c-clamp it to a bench and run some testing with various scopes, just for kicks.

No just to mount the scope to.

Gotcha, Guess i'm way behind times... i will have to do some research i guess

Not sure what you mean. I just wanted something solid for testing.

PA, I'll look for a piece of beam that would be better.

All of my Leupold scopes that have the twin spring erector system track with no issues at all. Older Vari-X iii scopes can be sent in to Leupold and for $45 can be upgraded to the TSES. Last year I bought a VX2 6-18 cds and it tracks 100%. All tests done with Horus CATS.

I haven't heard too many good things about the VX6 tracking. Bushnell is coming out with the new DMR2. It is supposed to be out this month but heard they will hit retailers in early October. They will be around 1500 bucks but are mil/mil.....don't know if you are an MOA only guy.

Have a look at the Steiner T5xi's too.

I think they were lost when it came from scout back to the hide. I looked and could not find it but I wasn't going all the way back through his post. Went a ways but didn't see it.

Back