NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Thanks for the response SP. I have updated the links in my post to shared links; they should work. I will move the optic forward, as it's in the same location as your pictured RS64, the most rearward position. I'll also check for any adjustments that could be made with the attached QR system. It's been a few weeks since attempting to contact FLIR.

P.S. Those coordinates were only for 100 yds zero.

Thanks again.

Yeah, calling is easy, getting them to respond has been the problem since 7/20. I've emailed SBA once and called (many times) leaving voicemail with contact info...I've heard nothing. My buddy was using me as a guinea pig before he purchased the same, but my optic's problem and FLIR's lack of response has him thinking twice.

Thanks,
out

affordable for who??

[/quote]

Yea I don't call $3500 for the least expensive ones affordable. Maybe some people will pay out big bucks for this but I sure can't or won't.

Now I would pay $400 for one but not more than that. Call me when you all reach my price range.

Originally Posted By: BaileyJ Yeah, calling is easy, getting them to respond has been the problem since 7/20. I've emailed SBA once and called (many times) leaving voicemail with contact info...I've heard nothing. My buddy was using me as a guinea pig before he purchased the same, but my optic's problem and FLIR's lack of response has him thinking twice.

Thanks,
out

I find that difficult to believe, you have been calling FLIR Consumer Products for a month and cannot ever speak to a person? I called them today and spoke to a person immediately. Their customer service is the best on the planet and you simply send your RS in and get it back the same week.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI find that difficult to believe

As difficult as you find it to believe, it's even worse for me to swallow. Their lack of response given the price I paid (for a quality product, and the known customers they have), is concerning. Sure, I can call any day of the week, and speak with a *person* in Customer Care, but they are not the R-series support contact, and will happily forward your call to Ms. S (tier 1 R-series tech), whose phone will ring until going to voicemail, telling you to contact gsbos.service@flir.com, or to contact Mr. B. I've left both of them multiple messages with detail and return contact info, and documented those dates. Most companies I've dealt with require an RMA to return a unit, I expect I need one. But I keep getting forwarded to people that don't answer. I'm not imagining my difficulty to receive support for my RS. And Customer Care isn't the support contact I need to speak to, according to Customer Care.

I originally began requesting support via email because it was late in the evening when I began, and email is the most reliable way to reach me anytime. Their support page offers multiple product support options (multiple phone #s, multiple emails, and a customer support center page), and none of the online support options indicate they are specifically listed for the R-series (surveillance - yes, threat detection - yes, T-series - yes, R-series - no), and I’ve wasted time contacted the wrong departments.

7/20: Sent an initial email to ccare@flir.com. No response for 2 days.

7/22: Used FLIR's online customer support center page to "Ask a Question" (required account registration), to which they responded the same day, "The Thermosight products are supported by a different division of FLIR...". Although I was redirected, that was the type of timely service I expected. I received a support ticket number and a response the same day.

7/22: Sent email to SBA-CameraRepair@flir.com in detail according to response from customer support center. No response for 6 days.

7/28: Broke down and *called* the SBA-CameraRepair # the customer support center provided for Thermosight support, and it went to voicemail indicating Ms. S was on vacation, and to contact Mr. B at a supplied direct #. Left message.

7/28: Called Mr. B, and again got voicemail. Left message. And I waited...

8/18: Called both Ms. S and Mr. B, and left more messages.

8/18: Called CCare as SP mentioned, who said, "sure we'll get you to Tier 1 support", and forwarded me to Ms. S again. Left more voicemail.

So after all my failure to talk to R-series support, I corrected my issue with the optic's edge heat signature. I disabled auto-calibration one night according to the instructions to the manual to avoid the minor screen freezes while in use. At the time I did so, the sensor was already heated to normal operating temperature. So, after having disabled auto-calibration there were no further temperature changes from the sensor that would later cause my problem. The next day, a couple minutes after powering up my RS again, I began to notice the sensor edge heat, but didn't realize the auto-calibration accounted for that. I figured it out this past weekend, and re-enabled it, and all seems fine.

Still haven't heard back from FLIR though.

Wow, that really is difficult to believe, I called them and instantly talked to them again today just to see if they would answer. Told them all my RS scopes were working just fine and have been for the last four or five years since they first came out.

Apparently your unit may have a defective automatic shutter based on your comments and is easily reparied, turn around time sending it in with RMA is usually less than one week. Their customer service is the best in the business!
thumbup1.gif

I too find that hard to believe. Sorry that it's the case for you. I have an older small hand help unit that they have replaced TWICE because I ADMITTEDLY scratched up the lens. I sent it in expecting a repair bill and they sent me a brand new (refurb unit). They are awesome.

(Though, as awesome as that is they aren't as crisp as my original one.)

I spoke to Tina Rock at FLIR the other day about my RS32 and she was extremely nice and sent me a RMA out after i emailed her my SN.
My battery doesnt last as long as it use to so i was wondering if it was possible to get it replaced and a good cleaning. She mentioned a REFURB but that kinda scares me.
My SN is something like 000171 i think so it has been a good one.
My zero on the 6.8 and 223 is around 10,95

The $4500 price tag i paid is relitivly cheap considering my buddy bout a L3 TNV3 yada yada yada and it was around $28,000 Along with a T70 and T90 or something like that.
So yea for the price the FLIR RS series are pretty good buy.

Mine has paid itself off with several farmers doin hog control and deer depredations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BaileyJSkypup (or anyone having zeroed a FLIR RS optic), any chance you observed ghosting from internal sensor heat after zeroing any of the FLIR RS thermals? I have that problem even with the optic removed from the rifle. My adjustments were 119,67 and I see significant ghosting south and southeast of the display. Is this normal? Can it be corrected by FLIR, i.e., sensor re-positioned relative to the zero coordinates to avoid sensor edge heat. I get no response from FLIR (2 month old purchase). The sensor adjusts the heat signatures relative to a warm body, but if the body is somewhat obscure, the target heat signature is hard to detect given the ghosting I see. I imagine I could *avoid* the ghosting if I swapped the current AR-mounted setup with my bolt action with 20MOA base, but the optic wasn't intended for my bolt action.

Iron edge heat with target a couple of minutes after being powered on.
view

White hot edge heat a couple of minutes after being powered on.
view

Coordinates - minor edge heat a few seconds after first powered on.
view

Your second image appears to have the blue M in the upper LH corner, indicating it is in manual calibration mode. Have you tried switching it back to automatic mode? The ccare@flir.com address is for the Nashua facility. RS support goes through Boston...gsbos.service@flir.com is the appropriate email address.

BTW, with the Armasight merger, the whole PVS line is in a bit of a transition period. No excuse for them not responding for so long though.

Originally Posted By: sbmarmamYour second image appears to have the blue M in the upper LH corner, indicating it is in manual calibration mode. Have you tried switching it back to automatic mode? The ccare@flir.com address is for the Nashua facility. RS support goes through Boston...gsbos.service@flir.com is the appropriate email address.

BTW, with the Armasight merger, the whole PVS line is in a bit of a transition period. No excuse for them not responding for so long though.

sbmarmam, thanks for your response. You are correct, the problem was due to being in manual calibration mode. As noted at the end of my later reply (no one seemed to catch), I had disabled auto-calibration per manual instructions to avoid image freezing (also noted in the manual) during auto-calibration sampling after the device had been running long enough for the sensor to come to normal operating temperature, so there was no visible problem afterward while zeroing. However, the next day after a cold start with auto-calibration still disabled, the sensor heat began to show up after 2 minutes. Manually calibrating the unit after so much sensor heat was visible did not fix the problem either. It took me a little while reverting all settings back to default, and another cold start (key combination), to realize auto-calibration was necessary to avoid the issue. Thankfully, problem solved.

I appreciate the additional detail you provided. gsbos.service was the only email I hadn't sent a message to since email wasn't getting me anywhere; though, it was referenced in the RS tier 1 tech support's voicemail I now have memorized. I'm no longer trying to contact them, but have yet to receive a response to my many previous voicemail messages.

Thanks again.

I just put a FLIR RS64-35mm onto my custom build Ruger 10-22 with integrally suppressed barrel for night vermin, simply outstanding!

10-22%20Flir%20RS%20Front.jpg

10-22%20Flir%20RS%20Ful.jpg

Stademtric%20Reticule2.jpg

Target.jpg

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI just put a FLIR RS64-35mm onto my custom build Ruger 10-22 with integrally suppressed barrel for night vermin, simply outstanding!

10-22%20Flir%20RS%20Front.jpg

10-22%20Flir%20RS%20Ful.jpg

Gorgeous rifle SkyPup!

Stademtric%20Reticule2.jpg

Where'd you get that killer reticle on your RS? Looks pretty cool! - DR
wink.gif

Target.jpg

Primarily Armadillos in the wife's garden, but also want to try putting one down a hogs ear!

The Gemtech Mist integrally suppressed barrel is so quiet you can hear the shell hit the ground making more noise than the rifle!

Back