Land for hog hunting???

Joeyg

Ok so its been killing me. I'm a Pipeline patrol pilot and make a trip south once per month. I fly thru the northern tip of Texas and around the Lake Texoma area and then east to Meridian Mississippi. I've seen plenty of hogs from the air and I think I need to make a trip someday. My only issue is how to gain access to the land. It sounds like the hogs are a pest just like coyotes in Illinois but it seems like everyone wants to charge. Friends of mine have paid for hunts but say the hogs were almost tame like they were hand feed and raised. Any thoughts on public land or known problem areas where I could have a "real" hunt???

Texas has no public land. It has the least amount of federal land of any state in america. Additionally, hogs are really sensitive to hunting pressure. Here in CA there are TONS of hogs, but they almost never move off private land. For one, that is where the water is.They must stay by water to keep cool as they do not sweat. Two, they get shot at and learn fast. Public land hog hunting here means packing in many miles where they do not get pressured. Alternatively, in the rainy season they might venture off private land because there is water and food. All these things are surely applicable in other states. Long story short, making friends with land owners is what you need to do.

Yeah I think I fly around Lake Caddo. I have seen the most around the Mississippi river delta and also North East Texas. I guess I do need to meet some people. What about the Texoma Ardmore lake?

Last edited:
Back