Need a Scope for a Springer Air Rifle that won't fall apart after a few shots.

Coyotehunter_

I have a Gamo Bone Collector and a Gamo Whisper Fusion Elite air rifle. They both use Inert Gas Technology IGT to power the pellets down the barrel. I was thinking that this IGT system would save my Gamo Scope from being destroyed but I was wrong. My Gamo Scope won't hold it's zero and now the cross hairs are canted and loose inside the scope probably due to the excessive shock from the gun. I read that there is a rearward and forward shock wave when this type of gun is shot and if the scope it not build strong enough to handle these shocks it will fail.

What I need is a recommendation for a good Spring Air Gun Scope that is stronger and that will hold up for years.

I've been doing some research and found that Leapers is one type of scope to look at. Also there is a Leopold scope that made for air guns IIrC.

Anyone else have any good ideas on a scope that will hold up to these air guns.

The Whisper Fusion Elite came wit the 4x9x40 Gamo Scope which is the one that fell apart on me.

The other Bone Collector came with a poor mounting system that won't hold the scope in place on the rail. But the scope still works. It's just not accurate and won't hold zero either. It's probably broke inside too. But the cross hairs are still vertical like they should be.

gamo scopes are not fit for a rubber band gun. total junk.

i have read that center point scopes are rated for the springer guns and are decent scopes for the money. have seen them in walmart stores.

rated by who? the california asylum for the mentally disabled?

my springer came with a center point. lasted about 150-200 shots. to their credit they did replace it, but i'm not holding my breath about any longevity. i've got about 75 or 80 shots on it at this point and figure the life is half gone. if i used it for more than vermin control in my yard i'd worry about putting a good scope on it - but when a "long" shot is 12 or 13 yds.. i could probably pull that off with this scope
grin.gif

FL2529BGQ2219T1.MEDIUM.jpg

from what i recall from my research when i took a few mins to look into it as a long term solution - a vx1 is suitable as a springer option.

centerpoint make a nice paperweight though. maybe even a hammer if you were in a pinch. but thats about like telling someone to go buy a BSA sweet 17.

An Elite 4200 will stand up to it, so will a Swift Premier Airgun scope. I have a 6-20x on a Beeman R9. These are over $300 list but can be had for around $200, I paid $225 for mine.

Bushnell and Burris scopes work for awhile and all of a sudden great accuracy starts going to pot. They start getting inconsistent and correction just starts not working.

I have trashed a couple scopes on airguns, one new Redfield lasted one shot.
I have gotten the most trouble free performance from airgun rated weaver rv-7 and the weaver v-16.

Check out Swift, they make an air rifle rated scope (SRP686M). It can be had an Amazon for $205. I have 3 of their scopes on various rifles and I have never had any issues with them, the oldest being 25 years.

Here Kitty Kitty

Originally Posted By: crow sniperOriginally Posted By: PredburnerLeupold.... yep,my magnum springer has yet to kill a leupold.

Leupold has a model that they made for a air rifle springer I've seen in the past. But I can't remember the model number of that scope.

What is the Leupold Model Number for their spring scope that can with stand the back and forward recoil of the springer type air rifles?

I found another Gamo Varmint Hunter Scope that I got from Gander Mountain back in 2012 sometime. I'm not sure if it's still in working order or not. That was 4 years ago. I found it yesterday in my storage box and it was in an opened plastic container that I got it in from the store. I stuck the scope back into the plastic sales container that I got it in and taped the edges shut. The light and laser still work on the scope. But I think I remember that one of the screw holes had the threads stripped out. I'm tired of trying to mess with any of the Gamo Scopes so I'm looking to buy a new air rifle scope to put on the Gamo Whisper Fusion Elite Air Rifles that I got from Walmart last year. I wish now that I had not bought the new air rifle as I already own a Gamo Bone Collector IGT air rifel and it's scope can't hit anything either. So I now have three different Gamo Air Rifle Scopes that don't work. This is why I say to all my friends not to buy any rifle scopes from GAMO. And I remember sending one Gamo Varmit Hunter Scope back to the store for a refund. The thing costs me $80 too.

The last time I looked at the Leupold Air Rifle Scope it was being sold for around $300 and that's a good chunk of change to pay out and have the scope rattle apart and fail on me. But I do remember that they ad said that there was a guarantee on the scope. So that might help. Does Leupold have a good service dept? I think I remember that they do have a good service dept and are good at honoring their warranties. I know that they make great scopes for center fire and rimfire rifles.

My Beeman R9 has chewed up and spit out a few scopes. I'd pass on the Swift's - my R9 made short work of two of them. They do have a decent warranty though, so I have a brand new 4-14 Premiere I'd sell you real, real cheap
laugh.gif

The one I have on it now, that has lasted several thousand shots so far, is an older Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4-14x44 that I just had sitting around. Whenever it craps the bed, I was thinking I'm going to try a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 next. They're air rifle rated, pretty cheap, get mostly good comments from guys running them on springers.

- DAA

I was at Gander Mountain in Evansville, IN the other week and saw a $45 rifle scope from Walthers. It said that is was rated for double shock and had arrows on the advertising packaging showing arrows in both directions. So I bought it and will try it soon. I installed it today and have to adjust the eye relief and get the scope sighted in at the gun ranges when it warms up more. I hope it works and doesn't fall apart like the Gamo Scope that came with the air rifle. It's a neat looking air rifle that has a adjustable cheek riser and a nice medium high riser that fits on the rifle's receiver with three screws and holds on really tight. And there is a stop built into the riser that prevents it from going backwards on the receiver when you shoot the rifle. There is an vertical adjustable screw that goes into a hole drilled into the top of the rifle's receiver. So it's a very stable platform for the scope rings to attack to the rifle. The rifle really looks good and I get a lot of comments on it when I last took it to the rifle range to align the original Gamo Scope on it at the 25 yard range. It was shooting really well at first but something inside the scope's reticle broke loose and the reticule was canted off about 8 degrees to the left after I got back home and shot it a few more times. Piece of Junk Gamo.

Wonder if a nightforce would hold up I would hope they are designed to take a beating. Might be a little much for a pellet rifle though.

Thanks for the heads up. I've not heard about the Hawke Scopes. But I'm new to this Air Gun Scope things so a lot is new to me. I'll give them a look.

Mine wears a Mueller 4x12 that has lasted thru 500 or so. Gamo Hunter 220. I scrapped the Center point scope in less than 20 shots.

Thanks for the feed back. I'll check out the Mueller Scopes.

I'm done with any of the Gamo Rifle Scopes for Air rifles. I have a new one that I bought and never used. I bought two Gamo rifles that came with the Gamo rifle scopes on them and both of the Gamo scopes were NO GOOD. They both failed to hold a zero with these two bone collector type springer air rifles.

Last edited:
I've used Leupolds and Bushnell Elite 3200's and 4200's on high powered spring guns with zero problems. I killed a Redfield probably 35 years ago before I knew any better and I once broke two Burris scopes with an RWS 350 after Burris assured me that they were airgun rated.

Back