Hunting in the heat????

pyscodog

Bow season open up the 1st of October here in Okla. We're still seeing temps in the high 80's and low 90's. How do you folks hunt the hot weather? Sure is unpleasant with sweat running down your forehead and the bugs chompin on your skin. Early mornings and late evenings??

Our season in Missouri opened September 15th. We have had the same sort of hot and humid weather, it was 92* yesterday. Even though I've been chomping at the bit I haven't gone hunting yet. This week there is supposed to be a 20*+ drop in temps and I WILL be in the woods next weekend. I hate that heat and humidity we've had so far. There is no way could I live in a region that never cooled down and that was the norm for hunting conditions. Even a high of 60* - 70* is considerably more than I like, but I'll go because I'd bust if I didn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vahunterLow to mid 30's is about the perfect hunting weather.

Cold enough to get them moving and still not freeze your cahonies off.

I live in Missouri too.....its just been to dang hot to get out there. Its suppose to start off in the high 40's Tuesday, so we're out the door early tomorrow. My ideal temp is mid 50's all day.

Here Kitty Kitty

You guys all have it way to easy our hunt here in Utah is already over, our hunt started Aug 20 and ended Sept 16. Our temps are mid 80's to mid 90's. Hunt mornings and evenings our deer and elk don't move much during the day.

GC I personally think it all has to do with money, they want to get the archery guys out of the way for the limited entry rifle elk hunters that starts the day after our hunt ends to put them in the middle of the rut. The price of some of the landowner tags here are going for up 25k for Elk. The month of October is pretty much rifle elk and deer season. November is Muzzleloader elk and anterless, deer elk, antelope and whatever they have they can't sell. We do have some extended seasons for some of it for archery but unless your a mountain goat or own private property in a few small areas it's pointless. Look up Utah's dwr sometime, it's rather amusing. ps. it is kind of cool hunting bucks in the velvet though.

That sucks... I always thought that if I moved west I'd take a hard look at Utah. Beautiful state with lots of hunting available. Now, if I had to pay 25K to do it, I sure wouldn't be eating any elk steaks.

Back