anyone hunting RI MA area?

ryanf772

just curious to see if there are many people having success in this area and with what tactics since i am haveing a hard time here i have only had time to go out three times so far since new years and once i heard or saw nothing and the other two times i hear them ripping up a rabbit..... it is a local farmer who needs them taken out and there is scatt and prints everywhere its insane idk how i not calling one in maybe just pre occupied? thanks guys

Last edited:
Hi. We hunt southeastern mass. No luck so far, but we're new at coyote hunting. It seems like we get closer each time out. I think the key is presistence.

ya i new at it for the most part two i got two coyotes out of there last year but i mean this p lace is loaded with them should be seeing more action but o well il keep trying different things and glad to see i not the only on here from the area i going hunting this weekend if i have any luck il let ya know thanks.... good luck

Last edited:
I'm in SE MA also. This is my second season yote hunting. Did shoot one last Jan. Been out 4 times this Jan; no yotes down yet. Did call in one around 11 am in wooded area a couple of weeks ago. Responded to jack rabbit, but stopped approx 60 yds out and then circled down wind into thick stuff. No shot opportunity. I have called in two red fox and let them walk. I plan to try again this Sat. Just have to stay after them. Good luck guys!

I am new to this sight but have been calling or should I say practicing for a a couple years on and off. This year I decided to be more persistent, and it has worked. I would say rabbit distress, mouse squeaker is what worked a few weeks ago for me, but this is mating season so something else might work better now or changing your calling pattern.
The more I do this the more I want to do this -- it is so much fun. Thank you all for everybodys posts tactics and suggestions they have been great --- it is great when you can call one in.

I plan to get out again tomorrow. Going to try starting out with yote vocalizations (lonesome and invitation howls and finish with pup distress). Weather forecast is much better than last Sat. The three P's of hunting (Patience, Perseverance and Persistence) definitely are important for success in this game.

Living just south of Boston, local hunting is not allowed. But calling the local scavengers proves quite interesting. 2 night cameras set in the yard tell the story.

Originally Posted By: JbelgardeAnybody else hunting in ri nowadays

There's one guy on here that does well in your area, southeasten mass/rhode island border. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point here, once the season gets closer people start logging in more often.

I know for me i've done great in southeastern mass, population is larger and more condensed in my opinion. Relatively easy to call and connect compared to what i'm used to in Western Mass. I haven't hunted Rhode island but I believe they have better predator hunting laws, pretty sure you can use lights down there.

Hey Laruemati...yes...I check in on occasion from SE MA and RI. I am at 22 dogs for 2016 using bait and electronic/hand calling. Dogs behave here just like out west. Watch the wind and make sure you are on them before you start (scout). They are alway sneaking in on the downwind corners and that is where you need to focus your hunt. Coyote vocals, periods of silence, some prey sounds...dont over do it. PM me if you want some info. New job has me off the site and fishing season is on and bugs are out so off the dogs unless a problem shows up. Good luck and stick to it! Keep an eye on those western MA guys too...they are always doing well.....

I finally got one last Saturday while I was deer hunting with my bow haven't been on in a while .we can't hunt at night using lights but I plan to try to call them during mating season

Back