What to look for when calling coons

Den trees or any hole large enough for a coon to come out of. Also marks on bark from where they are climbing up. Tracks and scat in and around the dens. About any brush pile will hold a few. Had 13 come out of a hole in the ground on time. Turned out it was a place where concrete and other junk had been pushed off into a ditch and covered up.

Look for heavy brush piles, abandoned shacks....and water! Slow moving streams, lakes or ponds. In my area, I hunt them at night. If your area allows night hunting, and you find areas as mentioned, they could be hanging out in trees too. Good luck. Regards, Drop

As above, think water, like small feeder streams. Woods that contain a lot of big trees. Depending on the location, as in way up north where the winters are harsh or way down south where the temperatures rarely freeze, they may or may not need hollow trees. If it is a warmer area they don't necessarily need to go inside, but they always prefer big trees.
I have always had more coons respond to calling shortly after dark when they are just starting to come out and they are hungry. If they have been out for a few hours they probably have already eaten and might not be as quick to respond. They never run right in like a gray fox, they always just kind of amble along closer. Speaking of dark, you want it really dark. Th best most active time for raccoons is on a crescent moon, when it is just like a fingernail. A new moon {none} is next and it gets worse from there. About like fox and most night time predators, hunting them on a full moon night is almost a waste of time. Small fields or backyards next to big trees and a feeder stream is the best.

As already said locating dens is best option. Many times if i dont know where a den is i will set up in the middle of the field and start calling. even if they dont come in to the call i can spot them in the trees looking my way. This is a good way to locate den trees for future stands. once i know the area they are in ill set up maybe 30yds from the tree line.

Once you find a den and you call it how often do you call it? if you shoot one how long before you come back? or if you miss one?

Back