How is Olympic Arms' quality these days?

Wyodogger

Been thinking about buying an Olympic Arms AR in 22-250 (the UMAR), but I've seen a fair number of comments (from 3-4 years ago) about their quality control and/or customer service.

Does anyone know how the company is doing these days? Even better: Has anyone bought one of their UMARs recently?

I own 2 and both are exceptional shooters.
thumbup1.gif

Pretty darn heavy gun a down right beast in the weight department. Isn't there an ar 10 out there in 243? I would probably get that instead and shoot light bullets at 22-250 speeds. If dpms did a gen 2 in 243 or 6 and 6.5 creed I would buy one. However it seems like they can't even get them out in 308.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrI own 2 and both are exceptional shooters.
thumbup1.gif

First AR15 I bought back in 1985 was an Olympic Arms HBAR Target. Was still in HS back then and money was something I didn't have much of so with the pic rail that screws on top of the carry handle, no flat tops back then, I bought a cheap 3-9 Bushnell, set of low rings, and mounted it up. Compared to some of the stuff I have today, that setup looks very ghetto, lol, but that thing, even with the cheap stuff from 1985 still on it, will shoot groups every bit as good as the new AR's I have now.

Hopefully, the triggers are a lot better in the newer ones because the one in mine was reallllllly bad!!

Last edited:
I just bought a new UMAR 22-250 3 months ago. Had troubles cycling about the first 20 rounds until it wears in a little. Runs and shoots perfect. 45 Gr JHP Winchester and 50 Gr Remington UMC JHP shoot awesome out of it.

its too bad we don't have other companies offering more for high performance non 223 or even 6.8 size case wildcats for the AR 15. plug and play parts is what I would like to see. yes there is some stuff but it would be nice if it was accepted and mast produced, you got brass, barrels, bolts and carries etc.

I am hoping greatly increased case compacity is somehow more widely accepted for the AR 15 platform. or maybe the answer is the dpms gen 2 but actually in other calibers than 308, specifically 22,6mm, and 6.5 creedmoor cases.

UPDATE: Not long after posting my query I bought a UMAR 22-250.

Oly's website showed both the plain and fluted barrels weighing 9.41#, so I saved $100 and bought the plain-barrel version. When it arrived, however, it weighed 10.3#. After communicating with Oly, they realized that their website info was incorrect and offered to flute my barrel for $100. (And they corrected the website data.) I'm glad I took them up on the offer because the fluted version is much lighter and easier to use afield. The only other change I made was to replace the 5.5# trigger with an aftermarket three-pounder.

Although only 100 rounds have gone down the pipe, as far as performance and accuracy, I'm more than pleased! Without working too hard (and with my marginal eyes and a 12x Leupold) I can still put five 55-grain Ballistic Tips into 1.5" at 200 yards. (FWIW 36 grains of Varget produces 3600 fps.)

And it shoots flat: with a 200-yard zero it's only 3" low @ 300 yards, which is very handy here out west where the dogs often come in fast and don't leave you much time to piddle with rangefinders and drop tables.

I've killed three dogs with it so far: 160, 280, and 290 yards. All were instant drops, which is ironic because I bought an AR so I could get faster follow-ups than with my trusty bolt gun.

It's a keeper!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI would just build a 22X6.8 and not look back if I were you.
thumbup1.gif

Sounds like an interesting round. What bullets and speeds have you been able to reach.

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI would just build a 22X6.8 and not look back if I were you.
thumbup1.gif

Sounds like an interesting round. What bullets and speeds have you been able to reach.

I'm getting 3750 out of 50's in my 22X6.8.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Willy BrotzOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI would just build a 22X6.8 and not look back if I were you.
thumbup1.gif

I'm getting 3750 out of 50's in my 22X6.8.

Greg yeah at insane levels of pressure. applying the 4:1 rule you should be about 150 fps faster than a 223. I haven't had any luck yet getting 50 grain bullet to leave a 20" barrel at more than about 3350ish as a safe working load in 3 different 20" ar 15 barrels including the latest BHW barrel.

the 22-250 case is quite a bit bigger than a 6.8 case you, also have lapua brass which can take some pressures. to insinuate your trumping at 22-250 with a 6.8 case isn't a wise thing to do. when I used to shoot a 22" 22-250 bolt gun I ran 50's at a tick under 3900 fps. there is no replacement for displacement.

I'm using a 24" tube with poly rifling. Pressure testing shows right on 57,000 per Ritch. Sorry Steve but I don't care what you run yours at period.

Greg

Back