Ruger Mark 4 Hunter

yoteslayer77

Just picked up one of these today. I plan on shooting it in the local steel challenge match this weekend if I don't have to work. Breakdown and assembly are a breeze. Shoots like a dream. I ran about 200 rounds thru it this evening with no issues. Sweet looking gun. Thanks for looking.

Those are a very nice gun and a great improvement over the previous as far as takedown and ambidextrous saftey I was looking at one today. Congratulations

Yeah, the changes are nice improvements. I currently have an old MK I 5.5" bull barrel and a stainless MK III Hunter 5.5". Both are excellent shooters and dead nuts reliable. I've owned other Ruger MK's over the years with never a complaint. Congrats on your new pistol, it's sharp indeed.

The old MK I was my dads gun. When I was sixteen mom and dad left me alone at the farm for the weekend while they went on a mini honeymoon. I loved to shoot that Ruger .22 automatic. Dad gave me a direct order to leave the pistols alone while they were gone. Of course I knew I could shoot the gun and clean it real good and dad would never know I'd had it out against his directions. That's what I set out to do... of course I went too far and took the gun completely apart and couldn't get it back together. I gathered up the parts and put them in a paper bag and drove into town to the local gun guy. This old man was a retired machinist and now full time gunsmith. He had a shop behind his house. He was known to be a cantankerous old codger.

I walked into his place and he immediately cast the stink eye on me. I guess a teenage kid coming in with his dad's gun in various pieces in a paper sack wasn't the best way for him to start his day. I explained the situation, he grumbled and cursed as he took the paper sack into the back room. I nervously waited, shifting my weight from foot to foot and wringing my hands until I saw him push back the curtain that served as a door from the back room. In his hands was my completely assembled pistol, nice and shiny clean. The old curmudgeon shoved the pistol toward me while giving me a good cussing that ended with, "boy, don't ever take this damned thing apart. It don't really need cleaning but if ya have to then take the grips off, swish the gun around in some kerosine and then wipe it clean. Put yer grips back on and yer done. But dammit don't ever take it apart again. Chit... no charge, get yer azz outta here."
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleNice pistol and great story !

You betcha!

I have two Mk II Rugers and one Mk III and I love them dearly. One of the MK II's has been shot so much that it is starting to sound like a maraca when you shake it but it still shoots fine. Better than me.

I wish I had an reason to buy me a Mark IV. I really do.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: LodgepoleNice pistol and great story !

You betcha!

I have two Mk II Rugers and one Mk III and I love them dearly. One of the MK II's has been shot so much that it is starting to sound like a maraca when you shake it but it still shoots fine. Better than me.

I wish I had an reason to buy me a Mark IV. I really do.

You do Rusty because you don't have one"YET"! What better reason.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendAny one know if they can be had with a threaded barrel for a can?

I asked the dealer the same question when I was looking at one the other day and was told not yet.

Originally Posted By: bryan h
You do Rusty because you don't have one"YET"! What better reason.

Oh, I dont know. I guess that my wife has not kicked me in the nuts lately so maybe I should buy me yet another .22 rimfire. That should do it.

I've got a 10" MKII that I bought new in 1993 with many thousands of rounds through it over the years and it still shoots great. When I clean it ,(rarely) I remove the grips and hit it with brake cleaner. I'm a big fan of Ruger handguns.

Back