Remington 783 vs 700?s

zr600

What's the difference in the 783 and the 700? Are the actions the same when someone says to build off a rem 700 is the 783 the same action as the 700 adl? I'm looking for a rifle or action to build off of.

Not the same.
783 has a barrel nut like a Savage.
I also believe the 783 is more round (same from to back)instead of more flat on the back end. Thus needing differant rings than a 700.

If you are looking for a 700 to build off of, pick up a ADL combo at WallyWorld. Sell the barrel, stock, scope and monuts and trigger. IIRC Remington has a rebate as well. When your done you may have a couple hundred into the action, or less!

I think you can see what the prevailing opinion is on this. But at the risk of "piling on", let me put it another way. If your gunsmith agrees to build on a 783, without arguing fiercely to convince you to use a 700. RUN!

One of the very best gunsmiths in the USA Tested how "true" 4 of the 783's were, three of them were more machined more true than two brands of custom actions he had that cost over $1200. He was shocked to say the least. The 4th 783 action only needed very minor truing.

Some of you better re think your opinions.

Two ways to think, point of pride, or practical very accurate rifle....pick.

The concept of a barrel nut is not very well accepted out of the Savage circles. I have in the past year just got into barrel nuts, the rifles are super accurate with custom barrels on them, a Savage 112 in 22/250 AI and a Remington 700 with a Hart 22-243 AI 14T with Remage barrel nut.

After that extremely well respected Gunsmith told of his results, I will own 783's before the year's end to play with.

Positives from the factory:

freefoated barrel
Limbsaver recoil pad
accu trigger, adjustable
barrel nut where you can easily swap out barrels
Floating bolt head
Great extractor
I like the safety
STEEL DETACHABLE MAGAZINE BOX-NOT JUNK!

bolt is just ok

I want a 22/250-turned into an AI

243, turned into an AI

270 to shoot 110g V max in to massacre coyotes

I have a lot of custom guns, but the gunsmith that stated how true these 783's are, is nothing to shrug off, he is one of the best of the best in this country.

The 783 is not in the same league as a 710.

I don't know if these actions will catch on or not. You will see me posting groups later on in the year. All I will do is bed the recoil lug and adjust the trigger prior to firing.

I would remind some of your younger folks that the Remington 788's that are ungodly accurate sold for between $149 to $99 when they came out. People soon discovered just how accurate they were, but they were not something that you could show off until someone went to the rifle range with you where you could shoot Lincoln in the Head on the penny if you had a high powered scope!

Last edited:
Without a doubt many 788's we're very accurate, but I still wouldn't build a custom rifle around one. In fact years ago when I thought 788's were the greatest things ever, I talked with a smith about building off of one, thankfully he talked me into using a 700. Granted it has been done.

If I remember correctly the 783's share quite a bit of the now discontinued Marlin X7 characteristics and parts.
I have a Marlin X7HV in 223 and it is a very good shooting rifle for it's price, but I won't be using one for a custom build. Again not that it can't or hasn't been done

I had several Hart barrels put on 788's. The main issue with a 788 was a trigger and spring back in the lugs, they always shot tiny, tiny groups, but resale is crap. Canjar triggers were available back then, then a guy came out with a system to put adjustments on 788 triggers just like 700's.

I think that if a guy hunts around in pawn shops and watches gunbroker, he will be able to pick up a 783 for $225, that would be a steal in a gun. I trust the gunsmith that says the actions is machined true, so that is a real plus. Put on a boyd's stock, and now the inexpensive rifle becomes a very nice rifle.

Many, many guys out there that are young with toddlers in the house scrape and scrimp for a accurate rifle, and I think that this is perhaps a better mouse trap than some of the other alternatives on the market now...I will not mention names.

I want a 22/250, 243, 270, and 7 mag before the end of the year to test. I will start on the 22/250 and go up from there if results are good as I expect they will be.

Remington wants to phase out the 700, they have been trying for years.

ackleyman has some great points in his posts. There are a ton of nice rifles being built on lesser quality actions.I didn't want to use the word "Cheap". Go on the Savage websight and look at what they are building off the Axis actions. Ruger American rifles and the Ruger Precision is the same action. The main reason for most people using the 700 action is the availability of more parts. I don't think the quality of the 700 action is as good today as it was years ago.

You get what you pay for! 700 is the only way to go! I own 4, with the 5th on the way by the end of the year.
700 XCR 30-06
700 BDL-DM 30-06
700 VSSF II 22-250
700 BDL 22-250
700 300 Ultra-Mag Sendaro by the end of the year.

there is no flies on the rem 783. they are accurate. the bolt is smooth and works just fine. the trigger can be made very, very nice with a simple spring change. the stock is fairly stiff and much better than the savage synthetics. they kill stuff just like a rem 700. you have more money left over for a decent scope.

I dont have a dog in this fight and only own a few 700s. My safe is more of a smorgasbord of factory bolt and single shots. But you do not always get what you pay for. Uou can increase the amount of money that you spend but in the end the odds are always 50/50 on getting a shooter. The odds only increase if you lower your standards. I consider .75 outside to outside acceptable in a rifle. Day in day out that is about my ability these days.

Resurrecting an old thread. Curious what the OP ended up going with on his build? Also, wondering if anyone has done a build off of a 783 yet?

Well actually I used my savage axis that was a 22-250 put a Boyd's at one stock on it NSS barrel nut BHW 26" 22-243 barrel on it. It's getting pillar and skim bedded as we speak. The barrel is threaded 5/8 for my lane surpressor 1.8 twist planning to shoot 75g maxes with rl17 in lapua cases. Egw rail with A vortex pst 6-24 also has Timney trigger. Hoping to get it with in the next few days.

Last edited:
Couple questions:

Do the Remage barrels sold by Northland Shooters Supply have
the same threads as the 783 actions?

Do aftermarket triggers for the 700 fit the 783?

As for building on a 788. It may not be the best idea, but I
inherited my Dad's 788 which had a shot out barrel. On the
advice of my 'smith, I ordered a less expensive Douglas barrel
and had him install/head space it. It is shooting more accurate
than ever!

Back