when did camo become so expensive?

I was getting ready to go out and hunt some coyotes this weekend and noticed that the only pair of pants in a pattern and color for the vegetation at this time of year was about worn out. And my bowhunting pants are getting kind of faded.
So, I get on Cabelas and start looking for camo. I have decided that I really do not care for Cabelas much anymore. The patterns I use for late season but no snow do not exist anymore. The pattern I use for bowhunting at low elevation is not common either. I could not find a T shirt in realtree max1. I could only find one pair of pants in max1. No pants in a pattern I find good for a dry grass field or sage brush.

And, while looking for pants, I found items up to $500!!! Who the [beeep] buys $500 pants? or $40 T-shirts??? Cheapest pants I could find were $40.

I also checked Bass Pro, no good there either.

I remember the days when there were basically two camo patterns available, Woodland and Army brown, and then later Tiger Stripe from the Vietnam era. Then Treebark that was privately patented came along, expensive and hunters swarmed to it. That basically showed where demand was and resulted in new camo manufacturers starting up and coming out with new patterns. After a while it became more about pleasing the eyes of hunters more than anything, though admittedly there have been some good patterns that emerged from that race. Only problem is that many of the really good ones didn't last despite the fact that they were darn good.

Some of the best patterns ever developed (in my opinion) for hunting the eastern hardwoods has long been discontinued. Forrest Floor camo was a great pattern as was Advantage Timber that has the browns and tans that literally looked like brown leaves on the ground. It's great stuff, so one has to wonder why it is no longer available. I think the answer is really simple - because something new is needed to keep hunters grabbing for the latest pattern that will work like magic and keep cash flowing for companies. All the camo Cabela's currently has will most likely disappear in the not-too-distant future and some new, must-have pattern will be marketed to the hunting public.

You are right about Cabela's prices. I too once loved Cabela's but their clothing (and other items too) have gotten so expensive that I would be hard-pressed to purchase any of it - unless they put it on sale and mark it way down. I'm just glad that I have a good hunting wardrobe and don't have to shop much these days.

A good example of Cabela's prices is this: Recently I ordered a set of Warne Quick Detach rings that I purchased new online and shipped to my door for around $69. I checked at our new Cabela's store shortly afterwards and the exact same rings were $99.95. Thirty dollars is a huge difference and enough to keep me from purchasing much there.

Notice the Advantage Timber pants and how they blend with the brown leaves on the ground.

Combination of Forest Floor jacket and Advantage Timber pants. Perfect for hunting in the east.
Sadly they are no longer available. Makes a guy wonder why.

Your best bet is to build a wardrobe of camo that works for you, take care of it and wear it as long as you can. Trying to keep up with the latest "game-getting" patterns will break the bank. Sadly, hunting has become too commercialized.

I totally agree on the continuing changing and discontinuing patterns, just a way to keep people buying. I liked advantage timber as well.

I use realtree max1 for archery hunting in the aspens, best pattern i have seen. when i walk in front of a trail camera, it is amazing how well it works. i think it will be gone soon. the other one i liked was cabelas seclusion 3d open country, it had the right base color for dead grasses and the right colors for sage. but, they don't make it anymore.

I hunt more than most and my camo fades over time. when i find the next pattern i like, i am going to get several sets of it.

Don't hate me, but... It's quite liberating when you realize that camo is largely unnecessary. Quality earthy tone outdoor clothing can be a lot easier to find in a pleasing style and size. And while it may not be cheaper, most of it will last many seasons without fading or falling apart.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGDon't hate me, but... It's quite liberating when you realize that camo is largely unnecessary. Quality earthy tone outdoor clothing can be a lot easier to find in a pleasing style and size. And while it may not be cheaper, most of it will last many seasons without fading or falling apart.

No one hates you for expressing your opinion. What you say is basically true.

I think "good" camo for the area hunted is a plus, but it's not really necessary per se, but the right kind of clothing, as you eluded to, works. Knowing where to sit on a stand, breaking up your outline with natural material, keeping movement to a minimum and not skylining are just some common sense things to do whether using camo or not.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGDon't hate me, but... It's quite liberating when you realize that camo is largely unnecessary. Quality earthy tone outdoor clothing can be a lot easier to find in a pleasing style and size. And while it may not be cheaper, most of it will last many seasons without fading or falling apart.

+1... I looked at some Sitka Gear yesterday. While I was looking at a hoodie my wife casually looked at the price tag. I think I heard her slightly hyper ventilate as she asked, "You like this stuff?" For fun I said heck yes and I needed a couple pair of pants in different weights, a couple shirts, hoodie, a vest and a nice weight jacket... and a hat if that wasn't too much. She rolled her eyes and went to look at shoes in a different section of the store.
smile.gif

I still sometimes wear a camo baseball cap. Because hey, camo IS kinda cool, I get it. (I even have camo in my profile pic).

I agree. A lot of hunters think they can buy their way to success-it's not going to happen. You have to learn all you can at home and in the field. Camo is a VERY minor part of the game. If they would just learn to practice basic scent control, sit still, and move slowly, they'd be surprised at how much game is all around them.

My guess is that those that say camo is not needed have never archery hunted trophy elk on public land. there are times when I will be within 40 yards of dozens of elk, without gloves or face paint you are busted. without camo, you never got that close to begin with.

Got tired of ripping my expensive hunting pants on briers and fences so I went out and got a pair of carrhart's.
Earth tones and black especially when your blk carrhart gets
some wear on it goes along way to conceal you when wear no matching jacket and pants to breakup your silhouette.

Jeans, boots, and a dark brown or green jacket or shirt depending on weather. I do believe in a face net and some kid of hat to keep it in place. Most camo is just a fashion show.

I have found that a piece of cammo netting tie wrapped to three fiberglass poles makes for a quick lightweight blind when I do things reqiure some movement. I have just broken off a couple of limbs on the local bushes to hang it on. This method works well if you break up your outline from behind.

Originally Posted By: old catI wonder how Saxton Pope, Arthur Young, & Fred Bear ever made a name for themselves without camo? Amazing.

times have changed quite a bit. you would know that if you have tried to archery hunt public lands in the last 10 years or so. or have you ever archery hunted for trophy bulls on public lands?

Your original post was about getting ready to go "hunt coyotes this weekend". I think a lot of folks understand we don't need camo for coyotes. Bow hunting, sure. But the first sentence of your original post was about COYOTE HUNTING and that's what some of us were responding to. Good luck!
Originally Posted By: 6724I was getting ready to go out and hunt some coyotes this weekend and...

Here in Illinois deer hunting I've had deer almost run me over while sitting on the ground against a tree wearing a blaze orange vest not just once but many times. While I do wear camo, I think washing the clothes in a uv inhibitor detergent does more to conceal you unless your hunting waterfowl or turkeys... That an staying out of the sun and not moving as well as keeping something behind you. With all that being said I like the Lost pattern and believe the prices of camo are high because people pay it

Camo is very overrated for calling Coyote.PERIOD.....If you want to buy it to look cool that's one thing but the Coyote could care less if you're wearing camo or not.You'll kill them with or without it.

Last edited:
All my hunting cloths come from WallyWorld. They sell Wrangler camo jeans and I don't think you can wear them out. Usually around $20 a pair. My shirts I get at the end of the year on clearance for $5-$7 each and I'll usually buy a couple. Boots, thats different. I usually try to get good ones that last for quite a while. I like Rocky's and even the Red Head brand at Bass Pro. I never care if I am matching top to bottom as I really don't figure its a fashion show.

Back