yote gun help

Holy crap o_O I checked my email junk folder just now, and realized I signed up for this site. I don't know what I was rambling about, half (or more) of it wasn't true. My sincerest apologies to the memebers of this forum for posting while sleep deprived. I am getting ready for yote hunting, and this seems like an informational site, so I'll stay. Hopefully with no more delirious, weird, rambling posts.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdHoly crap o_O I checked my email junk folder just now, and realized I signed up for this site. I don't know what I was rambling about, half (or more) of it wasn't true. My sincerest apologies to the memebers of this forum for posting while sleep deprived. I am getting ready for yote hunting, and this seems like an informational site, so I'll stay. Hopefully with no more delirious, weird, rambling posts.

No worse than drinking and Gunbrokering/Ebaying/Amazoning.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdHoly crap o_O I checked my email junk folder just now, and realized I signed up for this site. I don't know what I was rambling about, half (or more) of it wasn't true. My sincerest apologies to the memebers of this forum for posting while sleep deprived.

so you are a tired liar?

If I am not hunting for fur, like when I hunt midsummer just for predator control I like using my trusty .270 Thompson Center Icon, I use it for deer and elk and I make sure it is on before the hunting season. If you want fur and not launch one into the next county, why not try using a shotgun 12 gauge using 000 buck etc. I like using #4 buck with a super tight turkey choke. Accurate and deadly out to 80 yards. Fairly cheap to.

Well my choice would be a 223 but lets think out side the box. 243 sure its a fine round. But how about a 7-08 can get 100 gr bullets to 175 so can be more then a dog gun. I picked up one for my boy. Marlin x7 youth for 260 bucks new. Couldn't pass that deal up. Loaded up some 100 gr hollow pts for him to shoot dogs and whistle pigs

I'm not sure where you are located exactly, but I'm in Kansas also. I have found that unless you are located near a vendor that carries multiple calibers of ammo, you will be very limited to what you will be able to find. I have to drive anywhere from 45-60 miles one way to find a good selection. I based my rifle purchase on that. What ammo can I buy at the local hardware store or CO-OP. I went with the .243.

Originally Posted By: ksnerd...Readily available factory ammo options...
...AR style rifle (I have my reasons for AR style)...
My vote is get a 223 AR and learn to shoot sub-moa then nail them with it.

If you really think its not enough gun (it is) then look at 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.
Check your LGS to see which of these is on the shelf, then pick that one.

And welcome to PM.

I have a .22 hornet, a .223 AR and a .243 bolt I choose by the terrain I plan to hunt. Or just what I feel like carrying that day.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdSo, to start off, I hope I didn't copy any topics, and that I posted in the right place. New here.
Down to brass tacks (nevermind the tacks, waste of perfectly good brass...). A relative has problems with yotes eating the rodent control in her barn, and harassing her two small dogs on her farm. This is all happening on the acre her house is sitting on, they're literally at her front door. Never hunted a yote in my life, but It's time for 'em to go.

I'm looking for a rifle to take care of them, preferably in an AR style, but my budget may not allow that. Any suggestions on caliber/rifle/optics? I would like to avoid .223 because I've seen what happens if you don't hit the dog just right. I can get 1" groupings with a 22LR @20 yds in a good stiff kansas wind, I'm no sniper. I would end up chasing a wounded and pissed off yote onto neighboring land...I'd rather not do that.
What I'm looking for in a rifle caliber:
Not saving fur, so one-and-done (or down) power even with slightly off shots (I.e. rib hit)
Readily available factory ammo options at a reasonable price

Will chamber into a production (but not bank-breaking) AR style rifle (I have my reasons for AR style, but I'm not opposed to other styles/actions except AK)

So, one very long and probably confusing post later (scatterbrained right now, can't you tell?), any help for a total idiot on the subject?

1in groups with a .223 will get the job done. Yes, using a larger caliber will increase the likelihood of a putdown, but you are still going to have to park it in the sweet spot. You could run with a 6.5 Grendel to keep it in the AR-15 platform or you will need to go into the AR-10/LR-308 platform for a .243/.308 caliber. But all of those are going to push you into a higher price range.

If you get a .223 a 1:8 is the way to go. It is very versatile and will likely shoot the 55+ grain very well, and the 55 or 60 grain is best for dogs. It will even shoot 62 or 70 grain tsx if you wanna take a deer or pig. One nice thing to consider with .243 is it bucks the wind better than .223.

Last edited:
Another vote for 5.56/.223 Rem in a bolt gun or an AR15. If it were me and I could only pick one in this scenario, it would be a mil-spec (standard configuration) AR15 with a 5.56 or .223 Wylde chamber and a 1/9 twist barrel such as a Rock River Arms A4 16" mid-length or one comparable.

I completely agree that the .223/5.56 isn't the best caliber in the world for every situation one might encounter in the field while calling for song dogs, but it is pretty hard to beat in terms of a 300 yard calling rifle considering ammunition selection, reloading components, brass, and ammunition availability.

With good varmint bullets in the 40-60 grain range like the Hornady V-MAX, the Sierra Blitzking, Nosler BT, or Berger you should be golden if you're not trying to salvage the pelts.

Last edited:
What about something in 22/250? Ammo is often stocked many places,and it is a great coyote round.
I have the 223,22-250 & 243 in different rifles and will grab any one of them when heading out.

ksnerd What you want to check out is anatomy of a coyote. If the local boys are shooting coyotes like they are Deer,that will explain why there 223 isn't killing coyotes because they shooting into an area that isn't the best vital area. Shoot straight up from the leg not behind the shoulder like a Deer.

Back