Radio Communication w/ Hunting Partner

losthelegend

Is anyone utilizing a tactical type communications while hunting with your buddies. Sometimes we are forced to setup without a direct line of sight of each other and am looking for a way to communicate. I looked at midland radios and a throat mic setup but have not found many reviews in a hunting type scenario, especially during the cold Wyoming winters when the wind picks up. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I am not brand specific and am open minded! Thank in advance for all of your suggestions!

I have used basic motorola FRS with a PTT mic and an
earbud.
This has worked for a number of us for more than 15 years.
We tried some commercial VHF radios and mic with poor results. UHF probably would have been better but way more costly than FRS.

Never used an earbud, but have used a set of Motorola FRS radios for years. Turn volume down low, clip radio to epaulets so speaker near your ear and just key the mike when on stand to get partner's attention. Turn the volume up when a bit of noise is not a problem these radios have a mile or two range and come in handy when tracking, etc.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: losthelegendIs anyone utilizing a tactical type communications while hunting with your buddies.

All the time.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have used basic motorola FRS with a PTT mic and an
earbud.
This has worked for a number of us for more than 15 years.
We tried some commercial VHF radios and mic with poor results. UHF probably would have been better but way more costly than FRS.
I saw a setup like that at our local sportsmans warehouse. That might work out for us! Thanks.

these can be set to FRS channels : UV5RA, and are an amazing value.
Programming is another story, I've used CHIRP to program mine.
We use them when convoying but not so much in the field.
They should be good for 5 miles, but strictly line-of-sight.

As far as expanding coverage on VHF or UHF, best way is to place a repeater on a strategic high location.
Repeaters are a more complex solution that amateur radio ops had solved many years ago.

skinney, another excellent video guys with the SUPPRESSED SALVO. I was LMAO ! The work truly pays off WHEN IT'S THAT MUCH FUN !

Thanks again for sharing !!!

We use FRS/GMRS radios. I use a Midland, my hunting partner Jjess uses a Garmin Rhino 650. In the past I used Midland AVPH-3 headsets and they worked some of the time but were frequently unreliable. I recently got a set of these Peltor Sport Tactical 100 hearing protection headphones and they come with a 3.5 mm headphone jack cord that plugs right in to the headphone jack on the Midland radio. I used it for the first time the other day and it worked flawlessly. It doesn't have a Mic, so you still have to key up the radio and talk through that, but we normally just use Mic clicks to communicate while on stand anyway. The Peltors are comfy, clear, noise amplifying while offering hearing protection, and are way better than any earpiece I have ever used. Essentially killing several birds with one stone, I like 'em.

we ran PTT GMRS/FRS radios for a long time, but nowadays we usually just txt message with our ringers set to vibrate.

however thats for deer season when we're all in box blinds and have some flexibility usually on response time.

works great for a "deer heading your way" or "deer hit, can i get a hand tracking" or stuff like that. since everyone but my dad have smart phones the handheld radio's havnt even come out of storage for 2 years now, and this year i see no reason to bring them out either.

and you never get static burst if a neighbor accidently crosses close enough to your band at an inopportune time.

First , we cant use them during General big game season. Way to hard to convince the game gestapo your coyote hunting and not game hunting.
We use talkies with the shortest range we can find , under 5 mile even less if we could find them. to many eave droppers I feel .
We run a jack to our shooting muffs and a key switch mic to our wrist. When your gun is up on shoulder you can key and talk with no movement.
Voice activated mic does not work unless you like to here heavy breathing and your partner coughing/ sneezing all day.
There are lots of times we set up a 1/4 mile apart, they work Fabulous.

We use cheap midlands with their "security" style earpieces, works great & wouldn't go without them.

The scenario is often that one guy see's something the other doesn't, need to be able to communicate rapidly and quietly.

Had a pair years ago ,cannot recall the brand that when you pushed a button a red light lit up on the other handheld.Pretty simple when we split up see a coyote hit the button.It sure made you go into overdrive on the scanning when your light flashed.
We had our version of the morse code for different occasions,the one i remember most was several flashes meant you better hurry. Hope this helps.

garmin rhino's are what I use it shows where your hunting partner is he just has to key the radio and his location shows up.the 650 is on sale for 180.00 off at cabelas so with the military discount they are 316.00. good price for what you get

Back