Ruger American Ranch 223

I had a Ruger American in 223 a while back. It was the biggest POS I ever owned. Some say they are tack drivers. This one wasn't!! I have the Predator in 6.5 Creedmore and couldn't be more pleased. Shoots as good as you could ever expect a rifle to shoot. Guess its a 50/50 shot.

That's where I am at as well. I had a Ruger American Predator in 223 and it was junk. But I also have a Ruger American Predator in 308 and its the most accurate gun I have owned. Just don't know if I want to try another one hoping I had a fluke the first time.

I have 2 of the Ranch in 223 and they are both tack drivers with factory ammo. I havent reloaded for them yet. I like the short barrel because I like to run a suppressor on it.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I have 2 of the Ranch in 223 and they are both tack drivers with factory ammo. I havent reloaded for them yet. I like the short barrel because I like to run a suppressor on it.
Wanna sell one?

Bought myself a left-hand Ruger American Ranch .223 back in the spring & had the barrel cut to 18" because Ruger doesn't make any predator in left hand. Rifle shoots very acceptable so far with 24.5 gr. Varget & 60 gr. V-max. No complaints from me.
I also have the same rifle in 7/08, stock 22" barrel that is a deer slayer & no complaints going on third deer season. Also have a Savage model 11 7/08 w/20" barrel that makes me wonder why I got the Ruger American Rifle as it shoots every bit as good.

I have one in 300 blackout and freaking love it! It might be one of my favorite guns. For the price I would not hesitate for one second to pick one up.

I pack a Ruger American compact in .223 everyday on the ranch ........ it's my drag around tractor/farm truck gun.

I have only worked up one load and not to it's final form ....... but it's grouping about .6", I'd probably wring more accuracy with more work ......... just have not taken the time yet.

I did overhaul the trigger spring ........ took the factory spring out and cut down a spring from an ink pen to replace it.

Three 44s

I have one...it shot 4 inch groups all day long right out of the box. I adjusted the trigger...it went all the way down to 4 1/2 pounds. Bought a Timney for $140.00. Didn't help much. Replaced the junk Tupperware stock with a Boyd's, another $200.00. Bedded it, helped a little...now it shoots 2 inch groups. Replaced the barrel with an Excaliber. That got it under an inch with good match type ammo. Bottomline...for what I "added" in parts and labor to get this cost effective truck gun to shoot acceptable groups I could have had a Kimber Custom Select. And it is still just a Ruger American POS.
That aint the worst of it...the magazine will not allow but a few thousandths over factory length cartridges. So you cannot seat the bullet out where it might shoot a little better being closer to the lands. There is a modification that can be done to fix the magazine...if you own a vertical mill.

I just bought a Ruger American Ranch .223 with the 16" barrel. It shoots 1 MOA with 55 vmax and Benchmark hand loads. It also does well with 69 and 77 grain Sierras. I bought it with Minute Of Varmint expectations, so I guess you can count me as one of the lucky ones because I'm quite happy with the accuracy. I know there are nicer and better quality rifles out there, but this one fills the niche of Truck Gun perfectly, and for the price it would be tough to beat in my opinion.

I bought a Ruger 223 Ranch rifle many years ago and it is garbage. It has set in my safe all these years and has never been used again and never will be used by me. There are way too many choices available to buyers for anyone to take a chance on one of these.

Originally Posted By: DCMI bought a Ruger 223 Ranch rifle many years ago and it is garbage. It has set in my safe all these years and has never been used again and never will be used by me. There are way too many choices available to buyers for anyone to take a chance on one of these.

If you bought it many years ago it's a different rifle than what is being discussed here. I take it you have a mini-14? These guys are talking about the new bolt action they came out with.

I just bought one mounted a Meopta 3x9 scope on it only one trip to the range so far, 60gr v-max with 26.5grs of Varget was shooting about 1/2-5/8" groups, 69gr sierra shot 1 1/4" groups.

My American ranch rifle in 5.56 shoots awesome with Hornady 55gr vmax, it's lighthe and accurate great gun to keep in the truck. After I got it in a trade I liked it so much I went and got the 300 blackout ranch rifle and a .243 predator I couldn't be happier with the American rifles price and accuracy.

I have one that shoots all over the place. I've check the base, rings and scope. I've tried 3 different brands of ammo. This stupid thing will put 3 shots in almost the same hole, then spread the next 3 in a 4" group without touching a thing. Any suggestions other than sending it back to Ruger ?

Last edited:
My Ruger American Compact comes out just right on nose of bullet, end of magazine and rifling engagement with the 55 gr. SX by Hornady.

I just get complaints form the coyotes that get in front of it.

Three 44s

My nephew has a Predator in .223 and loves it . Shoots Hornady V Max factory rounds close to 1'' at 100 yards from a rest for sight in .In fact he recently has re sighted at 200 yards for this season . It has been reliable and has seen a lot of use . He had a magazine problem when it was new and Ruger sent him a new one and the feeding has been fine since .

I know a couple other guys that are local to me that bought the original Americans and they are happy with theirs also .

Back