28 Nosler at 1 Mile

venatic

Since I got my HF 28 Nosler I have wanted to give it a go at hitting a steel target at one Mile.
Really is kinda hard to find a safe place to easily shoot that far and also see bullet impact when you miss.
I am down in S Tx and after some scouting I found a road to shoot one mile away on.
Set up a 24 inch sq plate at what the Sig Kilo said was 1760.3 and then used a app on my phone to verify and it said exactly 1 mile.
I am shooting the 195gr Bergers from a 28 inch 1-8 twist barrel that Derrick at Horizon throated for that bullet so take note it's not a standard factory chamber.
Anyway I used my IPhone attached to a Vortex Razor to video each shot so I could replay if my impact could not be seen thru my scope or the other spotter.
I had 3 guys observing as well. Wind was right to left varying from 3.5-6.5 MPH and I dialed a little too much wind missing slightly to the right on the first two shots.
3rd Round was just right of center and slightly high but I was just happy to be on steel.

Last edited:
Dave, That is some good shooting and one heck of a nice looking rig. The 28 Nosler is a Great round with hardly any recoil and they are good shooters but they get warm pretty fast. You need to come back this next spring and shoot some long range Chucks with us again
wink.gif
I think my 900 yd Rock chuck shot may be in trouble
wink.gif
wink.gif

Good job!!

Nice shooting mr stroud. I like that "gain twist" fluting too!!

Just curious, will those rounds fit in the magazine?

Originally Posted By: CZ527Nice shooting mr stroud. I like that "gain twist" fluting too!!

Just curious, will those rounds fit in the magazine?

Yes they do. I am using HS Precsion BM and works perfect.

Is not shooting on a road illegal in TX? No decent backstop for ricocheting misses?
That's what I see from my perspective.
Good shooting & build though.

Originally Posted By: 5spdIs not shooting on a road illegal in TX? No decent backstop for ricocheting misses?
That's what I see from my perspective.
Good shooting & build though.

This was a private road and I was on a 35,000 acre private ranch that has VERY limited access as in locked gates with monitored video camera's so I knew there was no chance of anyone wandering thru. Also I could see almost a half mile beyond the target from my vantage point on a hill a mile away. I calculated the arc and my bullet would have cleared a 7 story building at its highest point so the ricochet doesn't travel far headed up a hill thru heavy brush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reddog964Dave, That is some good shooting and one heck of a nice looking rig. The 28 Nosler is a Great round with hardly any recoil and they are good shooters but they get warm pretty fast. You need to come back this next spring and shoot some long range Chucks with us again
wink.gif
I think my 900 yd Rock chuck shot may be in trouble
wink.gif
wink.gif

Good job!!

I can sure attest to the getting hot fast. About two months ago I shot it in a 1000 yard steel match and had to shoot 8 rounds in a 10 minute period. The ambient temperature was 98F so I ran and thru my rifle in the vehicle and turned the AC on full blast before the last round which was 5 more rounds.
I have told the story of your 900 yard Rock Chuck many times.... Just glad I was there to witness!!!
thumbup.gif

I am really excited to see this! Great shooting!

AND

if he had been shooting at a buck at that distance, it would have been Killed grave yard dead with all 3 shots!

Last edited:
Back