Any luck howling?

Dale Martin

I am in Eastern Alabama and have had very little luck getting any response at all howling. I've tried with electronic, hand calls, and diaphragms. Nothing.....Have killed coyotes using fawn and rabbit distress. Pulled in a few with pup distress. I have read on here about success to the west of us but anybody get results with howling this far to the east?

Not really, in east-central Georgia.
Never had one answer back to my first howl.
Have had a few that first howled, responded with ecaller, then they eventually came in to pup-distress, typically in the we-hours of the AM.

Yes, we've had luck here in Michigan howling. We've called them in with female howls followed by estrus chirps. We've also called them in using challenge howls. A lot of times well do a lone howl then follow it up with a distress call.

Many times you won't get a response but that doesn't mean they are not coming in. Many come in silent. I had one just last season sneak up on me. I did a challenge howl, some barks and then went into coyote distress. I did a scenario where two coyotes got into a scuffle. He came in silent just to see what was going on.

Good luck!

Works well. 95% come silent here. Very rarely get a vocal response. If they do howl normally it's at distance and might not want to come in. Sometimes they just give one loud woof as their return. If you hear that he's coming in fast

Last edited:
I've been most successful with howls so it's come to the point I always start stands with a howl sequence then silence. The foxpro sound coyote family then silence for at least 5 minutes is deadly, almost always come in silent.

up in Maine lately I've been successful starting out with 2 interrogation howls a little silence then coyote pup screams. the last 2 females came in quick.
don

I been getting them all wound up and coming in till about a week ago.. They are clammed up now and not moving.. Our weather been changing also.. Not sure if its been the inconsistent highs and lows that are playing a part.. Dan

I used to say the same thing about them howling in SC, but got on some different calls and put more effort into learning how to do it. Now I howl on every stand and kill WAY more than I used to.

I have had several respond in the mountains of Virginia...none in Maryland. The ones that did respond were in the January-early March time frame only and I tried to use the female mating call. At night they would get closer and howl back. During the day they did not answer, just came in looking. Always seemed to work better at night.
I have had them answer back from a distance in the evenings in the fall, but never had one actually respond by coming closer to me. I have also never had any luck by trying to switch from howls to a rabbit in distress if they answer closer but do not come in where I can see them. Seems like as soon as I try that it's their clue to get lost quick.

They are going really vocal tonight.. My friend went out and called one in and hit it with buck shot at 30 yards,, Bad shot on it and went to help look for it.. Didn't find but he got outin morning to look again.. But anyway I put my coyote locator and they just erupted to the sides of us.. Had them on 2 sides of us going off 200 to 300 yards away.. No lights with us though to hunt them..

Talked to Torry Cook at [beeep] yesterday about locating the night before with howler. Went out last night just to give it a try. Second stop on a dirt road close to where I set up and after 2 howls...... all [beeep] broke loose. Definitely the way to find them. Will be using this method in the future for sure!!

Dale you just took the most direct route on putting your learning curve on a steep uphill climb! Torry is the absolute master at that tactic and also howling them in. Once I picked up on some of his tactics it was an absolute game changer for me, not just in numbers but also in how much fun I was having hunting them again. Not sure if I can put it here, but I did a video on their entire howler lineup. It's on my youtube page so I will link that instead of the video itself. You can find that video and a few others I put together with some vocals. The "muted365 preview to the preview" video has some good audio of them lighting off real close.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWYGjasJ6o_xqzlky9jNHJA

I can get them to howl at night using siren sound or howling at night but not in day. I mostly use siren for locating for next morning hunt. Here in DeKalb Co. AL. they come in silent & slow if you howl real early in the morning but haven't had any luck any other time of day.

Is the goal here to hear them or see them?

Locating from the road I could see you'd 100% want to hear them but honestly on stand i've had more show up WITHOUT responding, than I have when a whole group responded. No doubt we all love hearing them light up but statistically for me I've had more show up on stand when I've howled and heard no response.

Originally Posted By: Dale MartinWhich calls are you using?

I have a Wildlife Tech MA-15 and one of Ultramags custom calls. I think it is called the buffalo horn power howler. It's the one with the mouthpiece, not the open reed type.
As far as the sound goes, the best luck I have had with either getting them to answer or come in is the female mating call on the Wildlife Tech. I actually prefer the mouth call because it sounds great and is very easy to master. I just copy the sound of the female on the e-caller.
I agree with the above post...it is fun to get a response and I have had them light up the entire valley at my place, but most that come in just appear without giving any lip. Something neither my wife or daughter can do!!!

What I learned is that they will come in without responding to the howl during the day. Also that they can be located at night by howling..... they will respond after dark. Most of my stands were during the day. Being new to calling I just assumed that if they didn't howl back during the day they weren't there. I'm sure I have probably missed some. The success that I've had was with distress calls. Mostly rabbit distress. Thanks to the info I have received.....I will use the howler in two ways. Location the night before a hunt and howl and wait for them to come in quietly. Still learning!! Thanks for the info guys......

We've had a lot of luck howling at night, it helps locate where they are and draws them in I believe better than rabbit distress. If they're talking back it's very exciting

Back