rings around brass?? pics added

ny hunter

i'm reloading for my 3030 lever gun and noticed there are tight rings from about 1/4" up from the rim to the top of the shell? i've been reloading for a few years and have never seen this before.is this a sign of pressure.
the load was 29.9 gr.of imr 3031 with a 170 gr. sierra.

Last edited:
I've seen load data for that bullet and that powder....Max being 29.2. Read the posting "Understanding Pressure", its pretty informative, but I don't recall anything like that being mentioned, but I'm no expert. Hopefully there's someone out there who's been through this.

Here Kitty Kitty

How many times has this brass been loaded. Bright rings can lead to case head seperations. Very common in tc contenders in 35 rem. For the most part it comes from full length sizing your brass after every firing and a barrel with a generous chamber. My 35 will only let me use brass 4 times. 5 is asking for trouble.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksHow many times has this brass been loaded. Bright rings can lead to case head seperations. Very common in tc contenders in 35 rem. For the most part it comes from full length sizing your brass after every firing and a barrel with a generous chamber. My 35 will only let me use brass 4 times. 5 is asking for trouble.
one factory and 5 reloads all full length,i'm shooting a marlin lever action from what i've read its full length only for lever guns.thank you

Originally Posted By: Mark204I've seen load data for that bullet and that powder....Max being 29.2. Read the posting "Understanding Pressure", its pretty informative, but I don't recall anything like that being mentioned, but I'm no expert. Hopefully there's someone out there who's been through this.
my sierra book comes in at 29.8 max and nosler at 30 max.i was trying to match the factory speeds.
i have the understanding pressure book mark there's a few good reads on that website.

Originally Posted By: ny hunterOriginally Posted By: Mark204I've seen load data for that bullet and that powder....Max being 29.2. Read the posting "Understanding Pressure", its pretty informative, but I don't recall anything like that being mentioned, but I'm no expert. Hopefully there's someone out there who's been through this.
my sierra book comes in at 29.8 max and nosler at 30 max.i was trying to match the factory speeds.
i have the understanding pressure book mark there's a few good reads on that website.

The book max is only a guideline. Your load may very well be at or over max for your rifle. Each and every single rifle, chamber, loads, component, etc is different. The books are only guides, not gospel

Have you had to trim this brass? I would be getting very wary of that brass. Try measuring a case before and after firing and see if it grows. Most lever guns are built generous to help with smooth feeding. They lack some of the mechanical advantages of bolt guns.

never trimmed any as they where under 2.039,going to dump these shells and reload a new set.i usually reload 50 rds. at a time for my bolt action 3006 & 22-250 i get more then 5 reloads out of them.never knew a lever was different its a new gun for me.thanks for the info

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hickerx2 Probably just tool marks in the chamber. Try to polish it out with 0000 steel wool on a jag and a drill motor.

I was thinking the same thing hiclerx2. It would be nice to see a pic of the brass too!

Originally Posted By: coyote controlOriginally Posted By: hickerx2 Probably just tool marks in the chamber. Try to polish it out with 0000 steel wool on a jag and a drill motor.

I was thinking the same thing hiclerx2. It would be nice to see a pic of the brass too!

i've been shooting this gun for about a year and haven't seen any rings on the factory loads.i'm going to pull the bolt out tonite and clean the chamber out.thanks
i give up on posting pictures on here i just can't figure it out.

Originally Posted By: ny hunter give up on posting pictures on here i just can't figure it out.

it really is not that hard man. i figured it out so i know its not that hard.
smile.gif

I'd get a smith with a bore scope to take a look at your chamber. Looks like rough chamber to me (tool marks).

Regards,
hm

I agree with a rough chamber. However, I've seen poorly finished sizing dies do the same thing. If after sizing those cases they didn't look like that and only after firing they were buggered, then I'd suspect you have a rough chamber.

I am going to go with tool marks. The ring on the middle case is about where you will see stretching in the web area before a case head seperation. It will be nice and bright on the last loading before it cracks.

Last edited:
i'm going to clean the gun and run a few rounds checking them before and after.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicks It will be nice and bright on the last loading before it cracks.
they all had that bright ring about a 1/4" up from the rim,t'm not taking any chances 5 rounds and done.

thanks again

Last edited:
Is there a slight bulge after the scratch marks? I was getting this in my 7 mag but I knew the load was hot, (I backed it down and no problems now). I talked to a gentlemen at the range the day I was having some issues, he looked at my loads and told me I still had lube left on the cases from when I resized. He suggested to me to clean all my reloads after loading with alcohol. He and his son were having some problems like this too and found that if any traces of lube were on the case it was able to move in the camber when fired and under pressure. Just a thought for you I now clean my cases with alcohol when done and can feel the difference on the cases, I can tell I was leaving lube on the cases all this time.

Back