243 Lever Action

I went to several lgs to take a look at the Long Ranger but none were in stock. The write up looked good but until I hold one its hard to say. I hope they are like you say as I think we need a good lever gun in 223 and 243. What cal is yours and what size groups are you getting at 100 yds. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: whyI went to several lgs to take a look at the Long Ranger but none were in stock. The write up looked good but until I hold one its hard to say. I hope they are like you say as I think we need a good lever gun in 223 and 243. What cal is yours and what size groups are you getting at 100 yds. Thanks.

One of the guys at the range has one. His is in 223 and he is still working up loads but the average for his handloads is under an moa.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksRight, it wants to be a blr when it grows up. I would take a h&r handi rifle over a henry center fire.

Then you are an idiot. You make a negative judgement will absolutely no hands on knowledge or experience of this rifle. You sound like a liberal.

I wasn't aware henry made a 243. I just looked it up and like the looks of it. They also figured out a way to free float the barrel so it just might shoot well. I will say I had one of their 17s and it was unimpressive.

Then go get the henry and send us all of the play by play. I'm sure that it will be an internet .5 rifle all day long. The long ranger looks like a blr and probably has the same type forearm connection as a browning 1895. When I buy a gun, I want one that is rock solid reliable. The henry rifles that I own have more than convinced me that I would NEVER purchase a centerfire rifle from them regardless of the price. An asking msrp that is higher than the browning more than seals that deal. Resale on the blr will be much better than the henry because too many people like me.have needed that customer service.

Last edited:
This is the only video I could find on the Henry Long Ranger.The interviewer portrays himself to be a moron when he asks about extended magazines and threading for a suppressor.OMG!

It's worth viewing because it does explain the magazine,the lever mechanism and the potential for accuracy via the free floated barrel.

Enjoy.

I say again, get one and show us. For what will be an 800 t0 850 real world rifle, I would pass on one. As a matter of fact I would pass on one dor 500. Too many good rifles in that range to go with a maybe. I never heard an accuracy guarantee mentioned just a potential for accuracy due to a free floated barrel. I know that there is no sure things in rifles but I do balieve that you can give yourself better odds by going with known entities.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksI say again, get one and show us. For what will be an 800 t0 850 real world rifle, I would pass on one. As a matter of fact I would pass on one dor 500. Too many good rifles in that range to go with a maybe. I never heard an accuracy guarantee mentioned just a potential for accuracy due to a free floated barrel. I know that there is no sure things in rifles but I do balieve that you can give yourself better odds by going with known entities.

The BLR does NOT have a reputation for accuracy. I have had one and can say that first hand. While you on the other hand cannot say that you have ANY personal experience with the Henry under discussion.
I have personally handled and fired one and the one that I tried was both smooth and accurate.

Originally Posted By: Hogstir The BLR does NOT have a reputation for accuracy. I have had one and can say that first hand. While you on the other hand cannot say that you have ANY personal experience with the Henry under discussion.
I have personally handled and fired one and the one that I tried was both smooth and accurate.

Whoa... rein it in a minute. You had a bad experience with one BLR. I have owned an old steel frame short action BLR 81' for about 25 years. My dad owns another one identical, both are .308 Winchesters. With good handloads they both break an inch at one hundred yards. Several factory loads hover right at the magic 1" mark. Both have Leupold 2x7 scopes. The two of those rifles have probably accounted for 45 - 50 dead deer. Not one issue with either rifle ever and a lot of tasty meals provided curtesy of those two slab sided little lever shuckers.

John Barsness a prominent shooting and hunting writer polled a very large website of shooters and hunters about BLR accuracy. I followed that with a lot of interest and the end result was that most guys had a BLR that would shoot around 1" - 1 1/4" average. A few guys reported smaller and a few a bit larger but the overall report from several dozen shooters was very impressive for a lightweight hunting class lever rifle with low power scopes. I'm very biased to the older steel frame BLR's. The long action alloy receivers just don't balance the same in my opinion. That's my preference, but from what I could tell the newer versions shoot as well as any of them. Please don't let your lone experience cloud your judgement about a series of rifles that deserve better.

^^^ This is my experience. Mine shoots about 1.25 with 150 gamekings and a mild load of 4064. I dont push it hard because I have 300 weatherbys if I need power. My little steel frame blr with 2x7 elite 3200 sure is convenient on an atv or out the window of my truck.

"I'd never buy another BLR....the ONE I had wasn't very accurate"...

"I'd never buy a Henry....my friend heard about one that wasn't accurate"....

Typical.....

Truth is....any manufacturer can make a stinker but there's too many guys that love their BLR's for em all to be crap...
As for Henry's new offering....not one single person who's voiced an opinion about them owns one...or as far as I can tell...has even fired one yet they're junk too....
Problem with the Henry is....at their price point we may never get an honest review of the dang things...too bad cause I like Henry rifles (for what they are) and would love to see another magazine fed lever gun on the market....

Originally Posted By: RePete"I'd never buy another BLR....the ONE I had wasn't very accurate"...

Typical.....

Truth is....any manufacturer can make a stinker but there's too many guys that love their BLR's for em all to be crap...
As for Henry's new offering....not one single person who's voiced an opinion about them owns one...or as far as I can tell...has even fired one yet they're junk too....
Problem with the Henry is....at their price point we may never get an honest review of the dang things...too bad cause I like Henry rifles (for what they are) and would love to see another magazine fed lever gun on the market....

While I do not own one, I have handled and fired one. As a previous owner of a BLR I prefer the Henry Long Ranger. It fit me better, the trigger does not travel with the lever, it does not have the high gloss varnish like the BLR (which I would not want on a hunting rifle).
It has a screw in one piece barrel where the BLR has a press fit barrel. The magazine fits flush unlike the BLR.
The guy who owns the one I shot has 2 BLRs and one of the reasons he got the Henry is that it is easier to disassemble for cleaning.
I know that most of this boils down to personal preferences, but at least I have personal first hand experience with the rifle in question before making a judgement.
The one that I fired had a crisp, clean trigger, neither too heavy or too light for a hunting rifle.

Originally Posted By: HogstirOriginally Posted By: RePete"I'd never buy another BLR....the ONE I had wasn't very accurate"...

Typical.....

While I do not own one, I have handled and fired one. As a previous owner of a BLR I prefer the Henry Long Ranger. It fit me better, the trigger does not travel with the lever, it does not have the high gloss varnish like the BLR (which I would not want on a hunting rifle).
It has a screw in one piece barrel where the BLR has a press fit barrel. The magazine fits flush unlike the BLR.
The guy who owns the one I shot has 2 BLRs and one of the reasons he got the Henry is that it is easier to disassemble for cleaning.
I know that most of this boils down to personal preferences, but at least I have personal first hand experience with the rifle in question before making a judgement.
The one that I fired had a crisp, clean trigger, neither too heavy or too light for a hunting rifle.

Thanks....that's good first hand information....a rare commodity on the internet.....
I'm keeping an open mind on the Long Ranger but again....that price point is going to be a big hurdle for Henry to clear....

I own 3 BLR 's. And accuracy is not a problem with any of them, 284 win. 308 , 450 Marlin, That 450 Marlin is a thumper on both ends with a heavy bullet

One nice thing about the blr or 99 is they make less of lump under your leg if you are horseback. That is one reason I wanted one but then I sold the sheep and cows and did not need to ride and check sheep. There was a cow man near the Hi Line who shot lots of antelope and deer and coyotes with his BLR 22-250.If I was to get another it would be 243 or 308

Tom Miranda used to use a BLR 81' .223 for his calling rifle. So did Phil Simonski and I believe Gerry Blair had pictures of one in one of his books. My BLR 81' is a .308 but I'd like to have a .243 also. A .243 81' would be a nice little all rounder handy rifle.

Back