Selling a set of elk antlers

I have a set of elk antlers that I think I want to sell. I found the bull dead while archery hunting 2 years ago. I rough scored it at 322, but it looks bigger than that. The skull is bleached, but not bright white.

Does anyone know where or how to get top dollar for a set of antlers like this?

By the lb will probably be your best best. The antler pet chew
toy market is ridiculous. Wouldn't have a clue where to sell it though.

Originally Posted By: 6724I have a set of elk antlers that I think I want to sell. I found the bull dead while archery hunting 2 years ago. I rough scored it at 322, but it looks bigger than that. The skull is bleached, but not bright white.

Does anyone know where or how to get top dollar for a set of antlers like this?

Don't try to see it in Utah. Dead heads and antlers that were sawed off the skull and are no sheds are illegal to own unless you can prove it was taken legally or have a letter from the state declaring it died of natural causes.

the antlers are perfectly legal. and perfectly legal to sell, just like anything you had a tag for.

but thanks for the help.

See if any of the custom call makers here are interested. I traded a shed here a while back for some custom calls and couldn't be happier, just a thought.

this is a bleached skull with 320 score dark antlers, the main beams are 47 inches. cutting it up would be wrong.

Not if you seen what they can do with them, otherwise tack them on your shed and admire them for what they are. If you sell them to someone you don't know they will end up ground into powder and end up in China. Maybe find a local artist who does painting, and make a nice living room piece for someone.
thumbup1.gif

So you put your tag on a dead elk you found? I've never heard of that. I have gotten permits for found dead wildlife but never tagged it. In Alberta we can sell sheds but not intact head and antlers.

Put it on eBay and see what you get offered. Not to be rude, but a set of elk antlers really isn't a rarity in the Rockies.

Maybe you could try to contact one of the larger sporting goods stores,Cabelas, Gander Mtn., Bass Pro or the like. Getting hold of the right person will be key if you go that route.

Originally Posted By: 6724no, I did not use my tag on those antlers.

So is a permit required to have the head or sell it?
In Alberta you must have a tag or permit to possess to prevent poaching.Big problem if you were transporting without one or the other.

Last edited:
In Colorado dead heads are legal to pick up and possess no tag required. Road kill can be picked up with a permit issued by the state patrol. Antler including those with intact skull plates are legal to posses sell trade etc. The only issue in Colorado is that it is Un-lawful to sell and antler with velvet on it.

Last edited:
Back