Les Baer .204

woodguru

Pricey at $2800, there are three on GB that have one hole targets shot at 100yds with factory Hornady Superformance light bullet loads. 1/10 twist should do well with heavier bullets too. Three that shoot like this is outstanding.

It looks like one of these can be built using top echelon matched billet upper and lower, and all the trick stuff for under $1800. Is there some specialty tweaking Baer does building these or could I fully expect to get this result with a build of the right stuff?

On my bucket list is a rifle that will shoot a one hole group like this

I see he has complete assembled uppers, to put on your own AR, for $1600. Or you can just buy a 204 barrel from him for $525.

I don't know all that much about their stuff but all those prices seem a little high to me, maybe they aren't for what you get though.

While I'm sure that the prices are somewhat inflated due to the name of the builder. I'm also very sure that it's warranted. I've never handled or even heard of a Les Baer that wouldn't shoot extremely well. The tolerances are very tight. As for whether the prices are justifiable, that can only be decided by the buyer.

JMO.

A friend has Les Bauer rifles and pistols. The rifles are the nicest smoothest operating ar's I had ever used.
That level of refinement generally demands a premium. Many can dismiss it as a 1/4 inch is not worth an extra $1000.

I gave the LB a serious look, but the weight for a 24" barrel model was well over 10#, so I just ordered an Oly Arms 22-250. It's 9.4# (plus I already have the brass, dies, cleaning rods, etc.), has similar trajectory, and is less than half the price.

Ok so you say you want a rifle that will do 1 hole groups? Well obviously the Les Bauer will do it, but so will a few other rifles for less than $2,800. But most cheaper options don't guarantee it because 1/4 inch with factory ammo is insane. Most rifles can group that well with handloads so the fact that it can with factory ammo is great. Basically at the end of the day you have to decide wether you want to pay that much for 1/4 inch groups because outside of super long range varmint hunting and benchrest shooting 1/4 inch groups will never be "needed".

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: old catThose rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/4 inch groups. Thus 2800.00

Web site says 1/2" Sorry about that.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOr you could call a Sponsor here. 1/2" is a chip shot.

Greg

My 20P Ritch built me was 1/2 all day. I didn't even work a load. He gave me a general load he used

Originally Posted By: pyscodog1/4, 1/2 doesn't much matter, still a lot of money.

this is funny. umm YES it does matter and just because your AR 15 shot a few 1/2" groups does not make it in fact a .5" gun. I know people like to talk a bunch of crap about how great their gun shoots. The problem for an AR 15 is you can't load the gun the same way you load for a bolt gun. That is the key to consistent sub .5

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: pyscodog1/4, 1/2 doesn't much matter, still a lot of money.

this is funny. umm YES it does matter and just because your AR 15 shot a few 1/2" groups does not make it in fact a .5" gun. I know people like to talk a bunch of crap about how great their gun shoots. The problem for an AR 15 is you can't load the gun the same way you load for a bolt gun. That is the key to consistent sub .5

That's funny. I got stacks of targets from my 20p that prove my statement. Even the new owner who has had it for a few years now and he reported the same

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: pyscodog1/4, 1/2 doesn't much matter, still a lot of money.

Please explain why I can't load an AR like a bolt gun. Do you think very group out of a good bolt gun will always be 0.5 MOA every time?

Care to expound on this with your plethora of knowledge for the unwashed?

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrett The problem for an AR 15 is you can't load the gun the same way you load for a bolt gun. That is the key to consistent sub .5

lol.gif
lol.gif
rolleyes.gif

Back