Mistakes were made

My wife wanted to go chicken hunting and with the rain and snow we had I decided to throw in some calling also.

The first call I setup on the finger of a ridge that led off into a draw in front of me and a draw coming down the left side of the finger I was on. The wind was coming from the front. I would have preferred to call down wind. I usually try to sit where I can see the bottoms of the draws but I forgot my chair so I moved more to the right side of the ridge to find a bettersagebush to lean against and couldn't see the bottom on the left.
I called for Exactly 7:39 second and hit mute because I was going to switch sounds and right after I muted the call I see a Coyote coming in from the left. The coyote came down off the ridge and just started to disappear and stopped and all I could see was his neck and head. He was about 200 yards out (my sweet spot) and just as I was taking the slack out of the trigger it decided to keep coming.
Since I had the caller on mute I started turning the volume down and when it was low enough I hit play again hoping the Coyote would come out in front.
I turned my head looking back to the left just to see him disappear behind me.
I called for a bit longer with no luck.

The double.
I had driven through west end of a draw and hit the top of the opposite ridge and there was a two track heading East.
I drove down about a quarter of a mile and found a place to hide my truck.

My Granddaughter wanted to come along.

I walked back toward the draw that I had driven through and found a location that let me see the bottom to the East for about a mile. Were I sat down there was a little finger of a ridge to my right and thinking since I had driven through that end of the draw there wasn't any worries.

I started my caller and I barely had time to look up even I catch a flash out of the right side of my eye just in time to see a Coyote unassing back to the right.
In my mind it was the only chance I had so I jumped up to try to get this Coyote.

Being an older beat up guy I developed a charlie horse quickly in my right leg so I gave up the chase.
I returned back to my Granddaughter and told her to sit back down thinking I blew this one.
But I thought I would give it a shot anyway.

About three minutes a Coyote comes out of the Sage about six hundred yards out from the East end how I had setup. He travels into my sweet spot and stopped so I tipped him over.

I continue to call and about a Minute later another Coyote comes prancing out of the same area as the first one his tail was flagging about.

The wind was swirling at that time and he comes across to top side of the first one by about thirty yards and then immediately turns to his right and head straight towards the first one.
He gets about ten feet from the first one and stops so I tipped him over for a double.

I have been hunting Coyote since the 70's and still made mistakes I shouldn't have made. I can't believe I jumped up to chase one right off the bat.

All my Granddaughter had was a pink camo so I put her in my jacket, her Grandmother said she looked like cousin it.
She likes to tease her Grandfather and I asked her if she saw the two I shot. She said no but I saw the one that run behind you.

We asked her are you teasing Grandpa and she said no with a evil grin and wouldn't say anything else.
So I'm not sure about the one behind.

Myself Granddaughter and bait dog.

Great story and pics. Great to get the grandkids involved.
My youngest daughter lives up there in elko somewhere. I got to take her calling once when she was younger. Sure miss her.

Did you happen to know Jack Roberts?

Thanks for sharing this great story and photos. I like your little white bait dog
thumbup.gif

Good read, TS12; enjoy that granddaughter while you can, they grow up too soon. You can tell she's having fun by that grin on her face.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Nice read...congrats! Your "bait dog" don't look like he's/she's having a great time....lol, good for both of you. Regards, Drop

Back