Range finders and wind direction

17freak

When using range finders that compute MOA values do they take into account the direction the wind is blowing from. From personal experience I know that a wind blowing from 90 degrees will cause the bullet to drop less than a wind from 270 degrees. Shooting beyond 500 yds requires knowing this.
Also the ballistic charts that many firms tout apparently make no adjustment in MOA values based on wind direction.
Thanks

Not standard rangefinders, no. If you have one that is connected to a weather computer (kestrel) then yes, they can. A G7 and Kestrel system is similar to what I am refining to.

Originally Posted By: 17freakWhen using range finders that compute MOA values do they take into account the direction the wind is blowing from. From personal experience I know that a wind blowing from 90 degrees will cause the bullet to drop less than a wind from 270 degrees. Shooting beyond 500 yds requires knowing this.
Also the ballistic charts that many firms tout apparently make no adjustment in MOA values based on wind direction.
Thanks

How far have you shot, and how much difference have you seen between full value 90 and 270 with the same wind speed?

I just read a review of the new Bushnell system that combines the rangefinder and kestrel weather station and it made a reference to calculating in the aerodynamic jump you're referring to. I have also noticed that in practice like you said.

FW I routinely shoot high power silhouette and I have seen the need to increase my elevation as much as 1.5 moa with a 270 wind of 12-14 mph at 500 meters. In the case of a 90 degree wind the difference has been much less and in the opposite direction. It also shows up quite strongly when shooting small bore silhouette.
The reason I'm asking is I'm going on an Elk hunt in 10 days and the Hornady ballistic table shows no difference between the two directions. Leupold CDS turret also assumes a 0 wind value which means that one is left with using Kentucky windage on long shots. I used to use I-Snipe but gave up on that site. If you know of a program that actually addresses this issue I would appreciate knowing who it is.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: 17freakFW I routinely shoot high power silhouette and I have seen the need to increase my elevation as much as 1.5 moa with a 270 wind of 12-14 mph at 500 meters. In the case of a 90 degree wind the difference has been much less and in the opposite direction. It also shows up quite strongly when shooting small bore silhouette.
The reason I'm asking is I'm going on an Elk hunt in 10 days and the Hornady ballistic table shows no difference between the two directions. Leupold CDS turret also assumes a 0 wind value which means that one is left with using Kentucky windage on long shots. I used to use I-Snipe but gave up on that site. If you know of a program that actually addresses this issue I would appreciate knowing who it is.
Thanks

The SHOOTERS App will do what you need and is cheap to download to your phone.

I use Shooter. The app will make allowances for spin drift, which will show up as a change from 270 vs. 90 degrees winds depending on twist. The elevation change will remain the same.

Originally Posted By: AnkenyI use Shooter. The app will make allowances for spin drift, which will show up as a change from 270 vs. 90 degrees winds depending on twist. The elevation change will remain the same.

I entered everything identical on my Shooter app except 90 and 270 wind directions and it showed different elevations needed for each.
Either I entered faulty info, or I learned something today.

Thanks!!
thumbup1.gif

Back