When will you folks see if the coyote fur is saleable

I lived in Windsor until '69 when I moved to B.C. 15 years go I moved to Alberta. Hunting in these western provinces is like hunting on another planet compared to Windsor area.
Things have changed since I left with turkeys and deer hunting now.We hunted squirrels and rabbits and raccoons, and a 2 day pheasant season if you could get a township license. Every few years they was a one day deer season.
We used to do a few "jack' drives in the winter. Sometimes we put out a fox. It was a big deal,and if anyone even saw a coyote it was reported in the paper.

We went north for moose. We could buy an over the counter combo tag for moose/bear. I think it was 10 bux. Last I heard several hunters had to put in together to get a draw for one moose.I miss the fishing but not much else.

I know what you mean for the west I was born there and when I retired here I would have moved back to Sask except the wife would not go. I still go out to the family homestead in the Fall and hunt with the cousins and in-laws. The moose tags here are in short supply and are hard to get for the more southern north zones. The MNR has decided that they would rather manage hunters/trappers than wildlife and the more cash they can grab from us the better. The thing with the wolf/coyote is straight pandering to the anti's. They seem to listen to anti-animal use people from other provinces and countries rather than those for Ontario that their decisions affect.

A buddy and I shot these lil guys a couple weeks back. Just couldnt wait any longer and had to go for a walk. Should of had two more at this place.
frown.gif

2016%20Sept%204%20double%20Curtis_zpsmhoyruph.jpg

I think mid Oct should be good though.

Last edited:
Depending on the weather, it won't be till the third week of October or early November before I head out. Still seams like a long ways off
frown.gif

I shot one this weekend. It had beautiful long fur, but thin. None of the thick short hair that keeps them warm. It was interesting to see the difference. Like Redfrog said it would have looked good hanging, but not worth putting up.

Originally Posted By: Tka250I shot one this weekend. It had beautiful long fur, but thin. None of the thick short hair that keeps them warm. It was interesting to see the difference. Like Redfrog said it would have looked good hanging, but not worth putting up.

I'm the same mind as Snowshoes. It's early yet and coming too slow.

If a guy is so inclined you can put the fur up and tan it for wall hangings. Sold on the internet often you get better prices than the fur auction.

I am guessing by the end of the month, coyotes will be salable in MN. Probably won't get much though until they fur up in November. Our best coyotes are from mid November to Christmas and then they go down hill again for the most part.

I shot one yesterday while running coyote baits. He was standing about 130 yards off the road. By the time I had found a bullet and got loaded and on my bipod he was starting to do the coyote trot away. Got settled in and 1 shot at about 130 yards as he was trotting off and I seen the fur fly and coyote down. It felt good!! The ol' 22-250 is still on I guess haha. Underfur is coming in nicely but no shine on the coat like a fully prime yote.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI haven't seem a mangy one in a couple years. do you get very many?

I haven't seen it in years either. But then again Im no expert in calling out disease on critters. It may have been lice or something else??. It was a big bald spot on the top of the back just behind the shoulders. It was a pup and had a number of burs that hide the bald patch. I took him home and skinned him to the point I saw this nasty patch and tossed him in the pickup to get disposed of.

Last year i snared 8 mangy ones. Even snared a mangy one in january. Only had 1 with shoulder lice. The warm winter last year didnt kill off the bad ones early so they kept spreading.

based on the reports in Fur Fish and Game, I will only be pulling the very best, and keeping them for personal use. (i want to try and make a blanket with them)

The reports said that for AZ, you may be lucky to get $10. Usually northern AZ you can get more. Last year was $22 average and It's not expected that high.

I want to use them, and would prefer to sell them, but for under $20 I am not sure it's worth it to me based on the effort vs. pay.

Cats are still getting the full treatment.

Redfrog.. Your not shooting coyotes, your shooting fur balls.. lol

I sure wish our coyotes were better, but at the same time we don't have to hunt in -20 to -40 conditions either.

The last FFG article said that your prices should be in the 80-100 again. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks T
smile.gif

I don't do much hunting in -20C -4F.unless it's dead quiet with no wind and 2 inches of hoar frost on everything. In those conditions you can hear a mouse fart at 300 yds.The coyotes are out hunting. You can see for miles and there is something magical about watching a coyote running balls to the wall, puffing steam, like an old timey train, and it's freezing on his face.It may be the most fun a guy can have with his clothes on.
grin.gif

I don't hunt much when the wind gets up. If I see tumbleweeds rolling around, I quit. Even at freezing with a 20 mph wind it's colder than a mother inlaw's kiss. Coyotes seem to hole up till it changes.On most days I'll see 20 coyotes. on those windy cold days I'm lucky to see a pair.

I'm putting a scope on my new Swift in the next day or so and I'll start calling later in the week. Deer and moose are open after Nov.1 so I'll be out for them morning evening and I'll call coyotes during the day.

The cold doesn't get silly until after Christmas usually.

good luck on all accounts with your hunts.

One of these days i will get enough in the swear jar to make the trip up to that region to chase some of those fat hair balls you have up there.

Back