small base dies

Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50 Are you ar guys reloading using small base dies, or full length sizing ? Thanks Gary

I don't use small base dies on anything I shoot from 17 on up. I have never had the need in any of my rifles for them. YMMV

Greg

I think the whole small base dies thing was more intended for sizing surplus brass that was, for whatever reason/s, swelled at the base and a regular FL die wouldn't squeeze it back down enough to make it chamber.

Unless you're using brass that a standard FL die won't size enough to make it chamber in your gun, I can't imagine why you'd ever want to mess with a small base die. Unless it's brass the requires its use, a small base die will do nothing but overwork and oversize your brass.

I have one AR10 chamber that is tight.
Only that one AR gets SB dies.
That AR10 doesn't like factory ammo either, so all it gets are hand-loads..
Its the exception to the rule..

I`ve had a few ar 15`s and have always used a fl die set. My latest addition is a custom 6.8 spc and have been using an rcbs full length sizer and seater dies also.The original owner with his load data mentioned using the rcbs small base sizer and crimp die for cannilure type bullets like some hornady or my favorite nosler 110gr accu bonds.Thanks for your thoughts. If it aint broke dont fix it im assuming?

Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50 I`ve had a few ar 15`s and have always used a fl die set. My latest addition is a custom 6.8 spc and have been using an rcbs full length sizer and seater dies also.The original owner with his load data mentioned using the rcbs small base sizer and crimp die for cannilure type bullets like some hornady or my favorite nosler 110gr accu bonds.Thanks for your thoughts. If it aint broke dont fix it im assuming?

Different strokes and theories. I would use my regular set up sans crimp unless I had compelling evidence to the contrary regarding performance.

Greg

i have a set of SB dies for both 308 and 223, but they're for one time use if i get some MG fired brass that needs it. I can tell you that running 7.62 LC through it is a royal SOB. i feel like i'm gonna pull the bench over lol

otherwise i FL size all my ar brass and verify it fits a sheridan gauge after sizing.

if they do that, even my tight chambered 308 will handle them just fine.

Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50 Are you ar guys reloading using small base dies, or full length sizing ? Thanks Gary

Small base dies are still Full Length sizing dies. It is my understanding that small base dies were mostly created for more reliable feeding in auto-loading rifles. That being said......all of my 223 AR stuff is sized with standard RCBS FL dies and i have never had an issue. It runs like a sewing machine...even when pretty dirty. I'm sure they come in handy, or may even be necessary, with some auto loaders with very tight chambers, or if you're the kind of guy that likes to torture test your rifles. I'm guessing they are not necessary for most.

Last edited:
I use the small base dies on my 42 year old SP1.....do I need them? I don't know, but it works for me and my gun. I bought mine based on the fact that it sized them a little tighter, which I thought was a good thing for the age of my gun. I have never had an FTF in my gun. As far as increased case length or increased trimming....its non-existent, I'm sure someone will argue with me about this, but this is MY gun, MY experiences, yours may differ. The bottom line is....your gun is not like mine or like the next guys. Good luck on your search.

Here Kitty KItty

On one of my rifles I have a match grade ARP barrel. It needs the Small base dies. Depends upon chambers mostly. If you had 3-4 different rifles and wanted to play it safe then you could go that route. But either way they are both full length sized. FL or Sm base

Originally Posted By: B23I think the whole small base dies thing was more intended for sizing surplus brass that was, for whatever reason/s, swelled at the base and a regular FL die wouldn't squeeze it back down enough to make it chamber.

Unless you're using brass that a standard FL die won't size enough to make it chamber in your gun, I can't imagine why you'd ever want to mess with a small base die. Unless it's brass the requires its use, a small base die will do nothing but overwork and oversize your brass.

A while back, I bought a bunch of Lake city brass once fired that came off a military base. You know that this brass was fired in an AR of sorts or a SAW, you don't know as the brass is mixed from a variety of guns.

I used the small base sizer to get dimensions back down to where I could shoot the brass in a Match chamber bolt gun, and it is hit and miss due to spring back. I shoot some pretty hot loads in my bolt gun. In AR's the brass worked well with std Forster and Redding FL sizers. It may be a good practice to size all that brass that is once fired from a military base in a small base sizer, but I don't have the experience in this area to say for sure.

I really like brand new Lake City 223 and 308 brass when I can find it.

I use small base dies for re-sizing the brass for my RR Predator Pursuit the first time. They don't really "stretch" much in that chamber, then I use regular dies after that to prolong the use of that brass as it doesn't need much work after that.

I use them for 5.56/223 and my 6 X 45. I have no real proof they really help but they don't hurt, either. I can't imagine anything worse than being several hundred miles from home with handloads and finding out they won't chamber. One would think that we would pre-check, but stranger things have happened.

I have a Rem. 742 in 30-06 and if I don't use small base dies it will yank the rim off the case and leave the casing in the chamber. I've never used the small base dies on a bolt gun but that 742 needs them sized small every time. If you are not having trouble with feeding or ejection I would use a normal size die set.

I have small base dies for my 6x45 purely for the fact they were on sale when I got my 6x45. Do they hurt to use them? If so I'll order a standard resizing die

To some degree there is a misunderstanding with regard to the use of small base dies.

Largely, the intended use of a SB sizing die is for sizing brass that will be used in multiple different semi auto's such as an AR15. Or, if you are using range or surplus brass. Under those circumstances some will opt for a SB die to ensure reliable feeding and extraction, for every round fired, in all guns, using ammo loaded with those cases. Some will also use a SB die with new brass or their own once fired brass if they're shooting the same ammo in different guns.

A small base die is a FL die that sizes the base about 1 thou smaller than a standard FL die, some may be capable of pushing the shoulder back a little further than a standard FL die as well.

For all intensive purposes, if you're starting with new brass or new factory ammo that will only be shot in the same gun every time and you are, correctly, adjusting your sizing die, you really shouldn't ever need a SB die. If you're using a SB die under these circumstances you're just over working the brass and likely costing yourself a little bit of accuracy. The biggest concern with over working the brass isn't so much shorter case life or even the accuracy part but it can potentially lead to case head separation and a ruptured case will surely ruin your day.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I'm usually lucky to get 3 firings out of cases before I lose them.

What do you mean by "lose them"? Primer pockets get loose or even after FL sizing they won't fit in your gun or ?????

Back