Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2994756 - 09/21/16 12:15 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
GC Online
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Lightweight and compact aren't words used in conjunction with the AR10 platform. They just are what they are.

#2994764 - 09/21/16 12:35 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
cahunter805 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: CA
Varget and 155gr scenar are a hammer in most 308s!

#2994774 - 09/21/16 01:11 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: GC]
LARUEminati Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Western Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: GC
Lightweight and compact aren't words used in conjunction with the AR10 platform. They just are what they are.

You're right about that but you can try and mitigate it as much as possible if you're dead set on the platform, for sure none are "light" they're all chunkers. My AR-10 is smaller and lighter overall than my AR-15 that I built as a bench shooter. Not lighter than a bolt gun but you have to compare semi-auto's to semi-auto's.

#2994906 - 09/21/16 10:07 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
yotekiller47 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Tennessee
Every one I have held was heavy feeling. I guess this is because it is a beefier platform than 5.56 I have 5 .308 bolt guns and love them. Just really have the itch for a semi auto. Like Plant One said, there are different platforms. I don't understand why they can't make them like the 5.56. It's hard to get away from bolt guns, but, it's kinda like the women, play the field and see which one you like best. Only thing is the weapons don't talk back and for the most part do what you want.

#2994986 - 09/22/16 11:39 AM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
FullMoonYoteSkin Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Mn, USA
I don't mind heavy guns, even though I don't really consider my AR-10 heavy at all. I can keep it really steady for long running shots, which is what I mostly get out in South Dakota. Here in Minnesota the shots are usually standing still under 100 yards. Either way, I've never complained about how much a gun weighs and I've packed miles with 10+ lb guns chasing coyotes in Western South Dakota and never thought that a gun 3-5lb lighter would make all that much of a difference. If the gun is too heavy for you, hunting on foot isn't your thing to begin with.

#2994992 - 09/22/16 12:15 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkin
If the gun is too heavy for you, hunting on foot isn't your thing to begin with.

thats hardly a fair statement.

for some folks, that 3 lbs may be the difference between being able to do an extended hunt on foot or not. which is fine, i'm not judging.

but if you're in a circumstance where that might be the difference between having a good hunting experience and a bad one - thats surely not a reason to say someone shouldn't be doing it because they have to restrict the gear necessary to make it an enjoyable hunt.

then again thats the beauty of today's selection of equipment available to the modern hunter. we can all find a firearm and other gear that fits our individual needs and makes things possible where they might otherwise not be - for whatever reason. you dont necessarily have to have paul bunyon strength when there are lightweight (or lighter weight anyway) versions of almost every firearm platform known to man out there.

i hunt with both a LR 308 and a 24" 204 AR that are both over 10 lbs. but if i knew i was going out for a lot of walking, neither of those guns would be on my choice list, especially stacking another 22 oz of suppressor on the front of them.

i just much prefer to walk around with something in the 8½-9 lb range. (which for comparison is about what a rem 870 fully loaded comes in at)

thankfully i have guns that fit that niche so it doesnt become an issue.

but there's still no need to be a negative nellie and tell someone they shouldn't be doing something just because they dont have all the ability, strength and stamina that you might when there are other options available to allow them to participate and succeed with just a minor change in equipment.

even if it is only 3 or 5 lbs worth.

#2995072 - 09/22/16 07:59 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
GC Online
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkin
If the gun is too heavy for you, hunting on foot isn't your thing to begin with.

Yep, throughout hunting history and to date the most highly regarding still hunting, stalking and mountain rifles all weigh 10 pounds.

Wait... what?

#2995827 - 09/26/16 01:50 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
FullMoonYoteSkin Offline
Seasoned Member

Ha! Sorry, wasn't trying to be negative. My opinion got lost in context and typing/wording.

I guess I'm not one to complain when it comes to working harder physically, so I just use whatever I like to shoot and if it is a bit heavier than I guess I just do what it takes to lug it around.

I didn't mean that someone shouldn't go hunting if they didn't like heavy guns, I was more or less saying that if you complain about gun weight, then using a smaller gun (say 3 lb lighter) wouldn't really be your saving grace necessarily.

#2995863 - 09/26/16 05:11 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
longrange454 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: N.W. ILLINIOS
FWIW. My DPMS LR 308B likes IMR 4064 with Nos. 155"s

#2996465 - 09/29/16 04:59 PM Re: Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10? [Re: FullMoonYoteSkin]
FullMoonYoteSkin Offline
Seasoned Member

Thank Longrange454. I just used IMR-4064 for the first time with .308 last night. I'll see how it pushes 165's.

I'll probably work up a load with IMR-4064 and 150's too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.