What length barrel......

Originally Posted By: bryan hI have run 18" on both my AR's in 204.
And get 3800 fps plus with factory Hornady 40gr Vmax.

3800+ with 40gr factory and a AR with 18 inch barrel? That don't seem right bryan..

Have you chronoed any other of your 204s Bryan.. I got a 22 inch barrel and I am getting 3750+ with 39s.. I know all barrels are not the same but that's moving..

My buddy shot his 18 Wilson Combat I built him through it and was getting 3780 this is Hornady factory ammo when my dad has been testing reloads in his Cooper he has a hard time getting the reload to shoot as fast as the Hornady does.

Originally Posted By: bryan hMy buddy shot his 18 Wilson Combat I built him through it and was getting 3780 this is Hornady factory ammo when my dad has been testing reloads in his Cooper he has a hard time getting the reload to shoot as fast as the Hornady does.

That is interesting.. Those speeds out of the 18s are only 100fps slower than they are getting from 26 inch test barrel.. Maybe I will grab a box and see what my chrono reads.. Do you have any 20+ inch barrels
you could chrono those 40s in?

I'm tellin ya, sometimes I think these forums somehow read my mind. Not really in an AR but I've gotten the .20 Caliber bug as of late and instead of going semi custom, which I haven't 100% ruled out, I was just going to pick up another CZ 527 Varmint in 204 but being that I shoot everything with a can, as you all know, shorter is definitely handier when you screw a 6in can on the end so I was thinking of having at least a couple inches lopped off the end when it gets threaded BUT I wasn't exactly sure what that would do to the velocity. Now, after reading what many of you are doing with your AR 204's I'm considering maybe chopping it back to 20 instead of 22, although 18 + my can would just barely put me back to the original overall length as it comes with its uncut 24in tube which is pretty darn short for a bolt gun including a can. But I've also got a brand new Seekins SP15 that hasn't seen the light of day since I brought it home and I suppose I could just put a new barrel in that and go that route, too. Probably save myself some money and technically a barrel swap ISN'T a new gun so I wouldn't get any grief from the Warden either. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Besides the obvious of a new barrel, what's all involved in turning my Seekins SP15 223 into a SP15 204 Ruger? If I went 20-223ai couldn't I just use my 223ai dies but with the appropriate sized bushing???

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: bryan hMy buddy shot his 18 Wilson Combat I built him through it and was getting 3780 this is Hornady factory ammo when my dad has been testing reloads in his Cooper he has a hard time getting the reload to shoot as fast as the Hornady does.

That is interesting.. Those speeds out of the 18s are only 100fps slower than they are getting from 26 inch test barrel.. Maybe I will grab a box and see what my chrono reads.. Do you have any 20+ inch barrels

Yes but they are bolt guns when we get the chronograph out again I will PM you. My dad's been getting the he best speed's with 748 when reloading so far.

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: bryan hMy buddy shot his 18 Wilson Combat I built him through it and was getting 3780 this is Hornady factory ammo when my dad has been testing reloads in his Cooper he has a hard time getting the reload to shoot as fast as the Hornady does.

Yes but they are bolt guns when we get the chronograph out again I will PM you. My dad's been getting the he best speed's with 748 when reloading so far.

Thank you Bryan.. Dan

Back