.243 hornady v-max in 58 gr

money

Have any of you guys shot this round much? I'm looking at using it this fall/winter but can't find much information on it. It is fast, but curious if it is fur friendly. I'm trying to find the most fur friendly round I can. I don't reload, so that isn't an option.

Buy far from Fur friendly... IMO not a good choice to save fur. broadside has been 6mm in and softball size out.

Edit: That's been out of a 6x6.8DTI also.

Last edited:
If you are looking for "fur friendly", then keep looking. LOL! My 243 loves them in the Winchester VarmintX. I can center punch milk jugs at 500 yards with them. Can't say how they perform on fur beyond 200 yards because every one i shot has been closer than that.......what a mess.

Pal runs them in his 243 & 243AI, runs tham at about 3900 fps.
They just destroy p-dogs to nothing.
Every coyote he has shot with them laid right out, low shots are about like running a gut knife the length of the animal...nasty.
Broadside hits have not been extensively damaging though.

I've used them on coyotes and several other varmint bullets, Listen to me.... There is ONE 6mm bullet I can absolutely without question say through experience that is fur friendly and that is the 55gr Sierra Blitz kings. They are fantastic and never exit. There may be other bullets that do this, but I have not found it. I've tried all the Vmaxs (58,65,75, and 87) the SBK is way better. Tried Nosler 55gr BT, no good. The only other one is recommend to try is the 55gr Nosler Varmageddon's. HP or BT, I haven't tried them, but they shoot very well out of my TC Venture.

I'd shoot for shoulder bone for sure! I shot a pretty good sized cat in the shoulder with one and it didn't exit. I was getting about 3900 fps in a .243 Win.

243 Winchester

87g Berger VLD hunting is easy on a coyote pelt, along with a 88g Berger.

Work up a load with IMR 4064, you will have great accuracy, 37.0-37.4g Fed 210.

Last edited:
I have shot alot of coyotes with the 58 grain vmax. Over 175 yards they are fur friendly, under that and they are very explosive! I am talking volley ball sized exits! Great for calling contests where you want them anchored where they stood but not for pelts!

Last edited:
Barnes 85 TSX is a very fur friendly bullet. Loaded with IMR 4064 accuracy was very good. Like everyone else I found the Vmax bullets to be somewhat messy.

A few years ago, I used the 243W 55gr Nosler B-tip, at around 3,900+fps. I had more runners and floppers with that load than I expected.

Prior to that, I had been using the 75gr Vmax, and had only one out of 33-34 coyotes with pelt damage, and shots were from 20yds to just over 400.

I have since gone back to the 75gr Vmax.

Back