Finally shot my new CZ 527 varmint today

bobcat93

I wanted to work on barrel break in today and try out a few loads. On most of my rifles I inlay a 4" picatiny rail in the forearm for bi-pod attachment.
Here is my set up
CZ 527 varmint chambered for 17 Remington, Leopold VXlll 6.5-20× 44mm..30 mm tube..very nice scope for this set up. Warne med. height rings.

All shots were at 100 yrds using 3" targets, and shooting 5 round groups.

My reloads were
New nosler 17 Remington brass
25 gr. Horndy v-max
Remington 7 1/2 br primers
I first tried some IMR 8208 BRX powder..it was clean and fast..but I couldn't get the groups to tighten up.

Next load was Alliant reloder 10×. Not as fast but very promising

Here are all my targets..I started shooting top left, then down.
The top target on the second row was shot with IMR powder. The rest of row two, and all of row three was Alliant reloader 10×

It seems like the more dirty the barrel got the better it was shooting. But as I was just out to break in the new barrel I didn't want carbon, and copper fouling to build up..

I will keep you posted as my reload development in this rifle.
Still looking for a magic powder / load.
Over all I'm happy with this rifle. It shot nice for being a stock.r rifle right out of the box..all I did was clean the [beeep] out of it, and adjust the trigger.
I will work on my load development, and maybe bed the action as a last resort.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Pic links need fixed.
unsure.gif

Greg

That's pretty stout shooting. I won't comment on a Nebraska coin, me being an Okie and all. LOL

My 527's are both 204's and the groups are so good they ruin the need for a custom rig completely.

Greg

I had to make a correction..I listed alliant reloder 15 as a propellent I used in my reload for the 17 Remington.. (I didn't use reloder 15 in the 17 Remington).. it was Alliant reloder 10×
Sorry.

I really hold the CZ 527 in high regard..what a nice rifle..

Last edited:
Congrats on your new CZ! Yippie for you.

My CZ 527 in .17 Remington just seemed to really like somewhere around 23 to 24 grains of Varget with the 20 grain Vmax sparked by the CCI BR primer. I was unhappy if I could not put 5 shots into a dime at 100 yards. Once on a prairie dog hunt that little .17 was just wearing out an entire herd of marauding pasture poodles at around 250-300 yards. Bang...pop! Bang...pop! Bang...pop! It was so much fun.

The furthest shot was just over 450 yards. Did not flip him at that distance but kill him it did.

Im new to the 17 Remington, and it was suggested by another forum member to try varget..I will give it a shot.
I have about 8 other powders on hand I have been trying for a few years to use up..but it seems like everything I own loves that [beeep] hodgdon varget..not another one...lol..I guess the good thing is with one powder it's convenient for me to reload. Problem is ..if I run out I'm (beeped)!!!

That looks like a setup you're going to enjoy. Nice looking range.

While IMR8208 is my 17's favorite, IMR4320 gives it a run for its money. This is behind 25gr. bullets.

I have had good luck with 4320 in the .17 Remingtons too. Primers make a difference in the .17s. If you load some where nothing has changed but the primer, you will see a difference in your groups.

I didn't really test alot of loads with the powders I tried..I just put something together quickly and got out the the range..I did measure my chamber length and set the 25 gr. Hornady v-max .015" off of the lands..I have to try adjusting my powder charges and get the best groups I can , then try different primers, then I try bullet seating length. I have lot of different powders I can use hodgdon, IMR, alliant, and accurate arms...honestly probably 10 different powders

bobcat93, was there a specific reason you went with the 17 Remington over something like the 204 when you purchased your CZ 527??

I only ask because I've been thinking of buying another 527 Varmint but this time in 204, but if there are advantages to the 17 Rem. I'd certainly give it a look.

I have a 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet and plenty of 223's just kind of looking for another fun fast small caliber to pop coyote and smaller critters with. Been leaning toward the 204 but I definitely haven't ruled out a 17 Rem either. Just curious if you had a specific reason for going with your 17 Rem.

Originally Posted By: bobcat93I didn't really test alot of loads with the powders I tried..I just put something together quickly and got out the the range..I did measure my chamber length and set the 25 gr. Hornady v-max .015" off of the lands..I have to try adjusting my powder charges and get the best groups I can , then try different primers, then I try bullet seating length. I have lot of different powders I can use hodgdon, IMR, alliant, and accurate arms...honestly probably 10 different powders

You didn't mention the load you tried, but 23.9 with IMR8208 was the magic number for mine, while IMR4320 was 24.6. I would start well under those to be safe.

Honestly..I think the 17 Remington is like the ultramag of the 17's.. I just wasn't interested in the 17 hornet I know it sound crazy but I think the 17 hornet is an ugly looking cartridge.. for that reason alone I dismissed it..the second reason is I'm building an ar-15 in 20 practical..also when ever I shoot the barrel out of my CZ 527 221 fireball i may have it rebarreled in 20 vartarg.

The 17 rem has alot of load data available, can hit the 4000 fps mark with ease,brass is readily available, and it's been around since 1971..it's very common and easy to get custom barrels, and chambers cut. And last..it's very accurate..but you wouldn't know that by my groups..lol..

Last edited:
My chamber ..or should I say from bolt face to lands was 2.207" with the 25 gr. Hornady v-max..I set my case OAL @ 2.197"
I used a load of IMR 8208 xbr 23.5 gr.
And a load of alliant reloder 10× 19.5 gr.

Back