worst accuracy ever

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif the barrel extension is loose on the barrel, shouldn't that be a problem for the barrel mfg and not the end installer? especially so since this is directly related to headspace for that barrel.

i dont think many folks buy an AR barrel that doesnt already have the barrel installed, and if they do its more than likely a custom grade blank that they're taking to a gunsmith for finishing, and therefore the GS would be responsible for proper installation of the extension.

the op did say that it appeared to be loose going into the upper but that another barrel didnt exhibit the same issues - so its probably a problem with the barrel.

personally i'd say get the mfg involved - maybe even show them a video of the loose fitment, or confirm with them over the phone the correct ID of the barrel extension.

it may turn out to be a tolerance stacking issue - your barrel extension is just a bit small, but within spec & and your receiver is just a bit large, but within tolerance spec - type of thing

The barrel extension is torqued up to a flange on the upper. If properly torqued then the barrel won't move with ease. Now the upper/barrel extension fitment may be argued to affect accuracy. The same could be said for the squareness of the face of the receiver among numerous other variables.

In the end, if the barrel wiggles in the upper then it isn't going to be shooting consistent. The barrel nut should torque down the barrel extension on the face of the receiver and keep it from moving. Something doesn't add up, IMO.

Last edited:
I am going to throw this barrel into a different upper with a different barrel nut and see what happens this time, thanks for everyones help on this.

Back