One coyote is 100% better than none.

utah yote

Friday I had an opportunity to hunt with fellow Predator Masters member Dropadoglv AKA Rick. We both ended our archery season with meat in the freezer and were looking forward to calling some coyotes. We met up in Ceder City at 7am. Rick was running early and managed to called in a nice red fox on the way down the mountain!

I planned on hunting new territory but felt confident we would get into some coyotes. Our first stand was busted immediately by a antelope hunter. Our second stand was what I consider a classic high desert setup right at the edge of the pinion and juniper zone. Jackrabbit distress and 5 or so minutes I see a hard charger coming in on my left. He stops at 150. Before I can shoot he starts to trot off. I bark him to a stop and shoot. He's a spinner and Rick says shoot him again. I'll never get tired of the sound a ballistic tip makes when it hits!

The remainder of the day was more of a sight seeing trip. Antelope, wild horses and Chukar. I'm going back for the Chukar! We covered a lot of territory and did make more stands but no takers. We ended up in the low desert calling the sand dunes, took a pic and called it a day.

If you get an opportunity to hunt with a fellow member you should take it. You will learn a lot and the shared obsession to our sport makes comradery easy.

Thanks again Al for a fun time. To add, actually 2 yotes came in from the left side that Al was covering, 2nd was atop a roller at about 200 yds just doing the peek a boo, but no shot was going to be taken until the first was down. Al made a great shot and I believe it was at 168yds. As Al said, first shot spun him, 2nd shot hit and DRT. 2nd dog blew out. Even though I blanked on coyotes for the day! Just love being out looking at some beautiful country and had a chance to meet a very nice person!!! I'm not sure what weapon Al was using, just know it was chambered in .223 and a bolt action. (We really didn't speak about our weapons) Mine was on the right side of the pic. R15, 22" fluted barrel with a mid gas block and a 3.5 Timney trigger. Glass was a 6.5X20 Viper Vortex. I will add this: Al has the funniest bird hunt story EVER!....lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Congrats! Will...I truly hope you are feeling better! And thanks for making me that horn howler! That works and sounds perfect! I would recommend them to everyone!!!

Always nice to roll new ground and see what you can see. Most of the time, coyote hunting is just an excuse to go exploring for me.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAAlways nice to roll new ground and see what you can see. Most of the time, coyote hunting is just an excuse to go exploring for me.

- DAA

^ +1, Exactly!!

Quote:Al has the funniest bird hunt story EVER!....lol

Good read and enjoyed pics. NOW....what's with this hilarious bird story Rick alluded to, Al? I need a good laugh this morning.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: jf1073another day at the beach. what are the two rifles?

Mine is on the left. Mossberg MVP 24" heavy barrel bolt gun in 556, 223. A tack driver for sure. 3 more have fallen sense Friday.

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Quote:Al has the funniest bird hunt story EVER!....lol

Good read and enjoyed pics. NOW....what's with this hilarious bird story Rick alluded to, Al? I need a good laugh this morning.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

hm 1996... I put that story in the Worst Idea I ever had while Coyote hunting thread

Back