.223 not enough for coyotes. makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put.. a 223 can and will kill a coyote... But from my experience is it will only be a 1 shot kill 50% of the time...

My 22-250 should be in in a could days and I will be running the same bullet I was having good luck with at the end of last year (55gr varmegeddons). Hopefully I can get on some coyotes soon and hopefully have more drt

JUST A QUESTION?? So don't flame on me. But....My 223 Ackley will run right on the heels of a standard 22-250. So....are there exceptions to the rule???

I didn't wade through all the pages but heres my .02. I hunted with a .22-250 for about 15 or so years,it's king no doubt. The past few seasons I've used a .223 (55 grn V-max)and it's rare that I will get a runner (a few a season)but that can happen with any cartridge..

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJUST A QUESTION?? So don't flame on me. But....My 223 Ackley will run right on the heels of a standard 22-250. So....are there exceptions to the rule???

I see that posted a lot. I wonder what kind of pressures those 223AI are running to get those speeds? How much faster would a 22-250 be at the same pressures?

Originally Posted By: Busted-knucklesSimply put.. a 223 can and will kill a coyote... But from my experience is it will only be a 1 shot kill 50% of the time...

My 22-250 should be in in a could days and I will be running the same bullet I was having good luck with at the end of last year (55gr varmegeddons). Hopefully I can get on some coyotes soon and hopefully have more drt
Have not shot one twice yet.

I could count the ones I [beeep] twice on one hand. Probable only killed around a hundred coyotes but it's nowhere near 50%

Was just reading old threads on bullet/powder combinations and results on fur and DRT for the 222 on various predators, and people's experiences.......kinda amazing the number of yotes, fox and cats killed with a 222 back in the day, when nowadays the 223 won't cut it at a few hundred FPS faster per bullet wt.

Originally Posted By: Mike BWas just reading old threads on bullet/powder combinations and results on fur and DRT for the 222 on various predators, and people's experiences.......kinda amazing the number of yotes, fox and cats killed with a 222 back in the day, when nowadays the 223 won't cut it at a few hundred FPS faster per bullet wt.

Picture of my first called kill. The shot was back, and that's the exit hole. It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me.

Originally Posted By: AdamT It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me. Some of us don't like coyotes running after being shot.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: AdamT It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me. Some of us don't like coyotes running after being shot.

I would much rather it fall dead on spot also, but 20-30 yards in an open field I can live with. Will it always be that small of distance they run, no. Do they fall dead on impact on occasion also, yeah. In this example if I would've made a better hit, might not have ran.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: AdamT It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me. Some of us don't like coyotes running after being shot.

Just an opinion or thought..... Alot of the guys disputing the effectiveness of the 223 may be tournament or competitive hunters. Time spent looking for a wounded coyote or a runner means less time on the stand. Therefore they need a rifle that stops them DRT. Everyone knows a 223 will kill a coyote, no doubt about that. Maybe just not the way the money hunters(probably wrong choice of wording)wants them to.

Now that makes sense. Time loss on tracking/retrieval = time loss on getting the next one.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: AdamT It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me. Some of us don't like coyotes running after being shot.

Just an opinion or thought..... Alot of the guys disputing the effectiveness of the 223 may be tournament or competitive hunters. Time spent looking for a wounded coyote or a runner means less time on the stand. Therefore they need a rifle that stops them DRT. Everyone knows a 223 will kill a coyote, no doubt about that. Maybe just not the way the money hunters(probably wrong choice of wording)wants them to.

Nailed it that time

thumbup1.gif
I can totally understand that!!

Last edited:
Using 223 for quite a while and no problems. Sorry it offends somebody but maybe it's an aiming issue. Inside 250 no problems, but if a dog hangs up outside 250, I'll remember that. That's what the 243 is for.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: AdamT It wasn't DRT but only ran 20-30 yards. Oh and the rifle is a 222. Worked for me. Some of us don't like coyotes running after being shot.

Nailed it that time

Agreed, or they don't care about the pelt they just want em dead. .223 is perfect for me, sure some run but not far & the pelts are undamaged.

90% of the coyotes I've shot wouldn't agree with that. And I don't think they were just playing dead.lol

I've had a few runners,everyone has. If you're shooting enough of anything you'll have some get away. The ones that have it was because of bad shot placement,not the caliber they were hit with. But I believe the bullets you're shooting plays a big part in it too. Last December I shot one from around 75 yards right behind the shoulder kind of quartering away from me. At the shot it took off and as I got back on him for a second shot he crashed and burned and I went out and picked it up.There wasn't much wrong with where I shot it or the 55gr. Blitzking I shot it with. Those suckers are just tough. If you put that bullet in the right place they're not going anywhere. If you don't they'll run for miles and you'll never see them again. I've seen that happen with more than just the .223.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back