What length barrel......

Originally Posted By: pyscodog.......are most of you running on your 204R's. Whats about the shortest length before suffering velocity loss?

They all loose velocity but the bottom line for me would never go less than 20" and I really would be uncomfortable under 22". Speed and shot placement kills. The second is driven by the shooter. The first is driven by chemistry.

Greg

My barrel is 24" plus a 2" muzzle break, I know, I'm sick. It just seems a little long and was considering trimming it back a little.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy barrel is 24" plus a 2" muzzle break, I know, I'm sick. It just seems a little long and was considering trimming it back a little.

26" overall length on an AR is a tad long. Cutting it back might be in order..
smile.gif

Greg

I have a Tac 20 in both a 22" and 16" barrel. I get 3820fps in the 16 and 4140 in the 22". These are semi hot hand loads using the 32 Blitzking. Both versions are suppressed. You should get slightly higher velocity in a 204.

Last edited:
My 204 is 22" target crowned. It fells just right for me in length and balances well. It doesn't pierce my ears without ear pro either, they didn't even ring.

Originally Posted By: AdamTMy 204 is 22" target crowned. It fells just right for me in length and balances well. It doesn't pierce my ears without ear pro either, they didn't even ring.

AdamT, ear ringing or not, it is still damaging your hearing every pull of the trigger without ear pro. Quit doing that to yourself, you will regret it later.

psycodog, I really like Bryan H's 18" (Wilson Combat?) .204, but 20"+ brake would be nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702Originally Posted By: AdamTMy 204 is 22" target crowned. It fells just right for me in length and balances well. It doesn't pierce my ears without ear pro either, they didn't even ring.

AdamT, ear ringing or not, it is still damaging your hearing every pull of the trigger without ear pro. Quit doing that to yourself, you will regret it later.

psycodog, I really like Bryan H's 18" (Wilson Combat?) .204, but 20"+ brake would be nice.

Thank you Sir but my new one is a McGowen barrel with a suppressor when ever the BATFE gets my stamp sent one state away. Lol. no more bleeding ears. Lol

Originally Posted By: roky0702Originally Posted By: AdamTMy 204 is 22" target crowned. It fells just right for me in length and balances well. It doesn't pierce my ears without ear pro either, they didn't even ring.

I know, I know. I only did it once to see what it would be like since I don't wear ear pro when I hunt. Any other time I shoot I do. I'm still trying to find the right set of electronic ear pro that I can stand to wear hunting. I just really need to break down and stop buying or building guns and buy suppressors.

SO TRUE....My ears ring all the time now because i was dumb when i was younger... You got to take care of yourself man..

I quit my part time job because of a hearing problem. The owner didn't like the fact that I had trouble hearing when calling in a firearms check. He thought I should run out and buy $8000 worth of hearing aids to make $10 an hour working one or two days a week. Years of hot rods, motorcycles, firearms, rock concerts and working in a fab shop, the hearing in my right ear is almost gone. WEAR PROTECTION!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy barrel is 24" plus a 2" muzzle break, I know, I'm sick. It just seems a little long and was considering trimming it back a little.

Shucks, my AR has a 24" barrel on it and I think it's just fine. When I have my suppressor on there it REALLY sticks out there but I shoot off a bench 100% of the time so that is a non issue.

Give me a tube a bit longer than shorter every time.

I had bolt guns in 24" and 26", and a buddy had a 20" done for a can - I did 22" for my AR and I'm plenty happy with it.

To the topic of hearing protection, even with a suppressor, lots of shots can do damage. It's just foolish to not protect your hearing.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI quit my part time job because of a spending problem.

Fixed it for ya .
laugh.gif

That to Tim!!

Back