backpack for packing out deer

ny hunter

hi looking for some info on a pack for packing out whitetail deer [maybe a black bear]i've been searching around the web and have narrowed it down to cabela's Alaskan,ederlestock or badlands.open to any other brands.i'm 5'5" and do not have a clue which model will fit me or my needs to hunt with and then haul out the meat[deboned] i'll be hunting the Adirondacks park,ny thick mountain woods,i plain on getting off the beat'n path about one to two miles in and would rather pack out the meat in one trip after the kill,not hike back and forth to switch out packs.this is all new to me i've bow hunted on long island,ny for 30yrs flat land,all i needed was a deer cart,after 4yrs rifle hunting up there i realized a cart wont work.i have the butchering down to around an hour deboned.
any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think the best advice one can give is to go to a store that sells numerous models and try some on. Try to haul around some weight (I used my 9-year old son - to some strange looks). It'd be even better if you went to a shop that has folks on staff skilled with pack-fitting.

I'm currently carrying an Eberlestock X1A1 and like it pretty well. However, it's not really set up to move the weight down to my hips, so I carry too much on my shoulders. I'm giving some serious consideration to the Exo Mountain Gear line of packs. A lot of $$$, but a great design and many excellent reviews.

For just hauling out a de-boned deer 2 miles, any pack will work.

After using both extensively, I've come to prefer internal frame packs for something like this. Especially for rough terrain.

I no longer keep separate "hunting" and "backpacking" packs. I buy them all for backpacking and find they work as well or better for hunting than the "hunting" ones do, they just aren't camo. But outfits like Osprey make some amazingly good packs. And that's exactly what I've used the last couple deer I needed to pack, an Osprey Aether 70. Not a hunting pack at all, but handles a de-boned mule deer with ease and comfort. If you have something like an REI nearby, they'll have them on the rack along with somebody that really knows how to make sure you get one that fits you correctly. Which, is the key to making any pack transfer weight properly and be comfortable - it needs to fit correctly.

- DAA

For a strictly meat hauling pack I like my F1 Eberlestock Main Frame. I can sack up a whole boned out deer and strap it on the F1 and it packs the load beautifully. For a day pack that can do double duty and bring out a first load of meat I've been using an Eberlestock X2. I'll say this, the F1 is more comfortable with a heavy load. There are other packs, some cost more, some less. Some may be better, some worse, I dunno. I've been using these two for several years and have no complaints.

thanks guys i don't have any sporting goods stores except dick's and i'm not a big fan of field & stream products.
the eberlestock frame looks nice
anyone have any experience with badlands 2200 pack
i'm looking for a double duty hunt & haul pack.

I use a composite pack board I bought several years ago when then composite was new and all the rage. I know you said you wanted to use it as a pack as well as a meat hauler. I do that with my pack board and a day pack I fasten to pack frame. Just a thought about a different option.

I had a Badlands 2200 before my Eberlestock. I liked it pretty well, and used it to haul out a couple mule deer and an antelope, both done gutless. I switched to the X1A1 mostly to try out the integral rifle scabbard. In retrospect, the 2200 actually fit me a bit better, particularly on longer hikes. I do like the rifle scabbard though...

I put this whole deer in the 2200.
Troy26Oct2008Muley1.jpg

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI had a Badlands 2200 before my Eberlestock. I liked it pretty well, and used it to haul out a couple mule deer and an antelope, both done gutless. I switched to the X1A1 mostly to try out the integral rifle scabbard. In retrospect, the 2200 actually fit me a bit better, particularly on longer hikes. I do like the rifle scabbard though...

thanks i'm really liking the badlands 2200.
btw nice buck & gun!!

The newer badland 2200s have some neat features with the roll out meat rack, spothing scope sleeve, and tripod holder. I hunt out west and a real nice feature is to be able to grab your shooting sticks from your pack with the pack still on your back. Also amazing no questions asked customer service.

-As others said packing a deer out 2 miles just about any pack will do. The only negative for me on the 2200 is small belt pockets and too much weight on sholders because belt is too high on me (I'm 6'2"). I still pick this pack even over my Kifaru pack for a day trip though.

Hope this helps,

David

I've had the Cabela's Alaskan since about '95. Hauled many an elk and deer out with it with the pack removed and many a scout camp out with the pack on. If you're on a budget it's hard to beat. The optional rifle hanger is a nice addition.

Originally Posted By: Dman62I've had the Cabela's Alaskan since about '95. Hauled many an elk and deer out with it with the pack removed and many a scout camp out with the pack on. If you're on a budget it's hard to beat. The optional rifle hanger is a nice addition.

I keep this exact pack in the truck for dedicated hauling. If I can't get the full load on my daypack, then I can go back in with a purpose-built rig and finish up.

Back