When will you folks see if the coyote fur is saleable

Im not gonna start killing coyotes till Oct. 15 or so. Gotta shoot some ducks, geese and an elk before I start yotes.

Last edited:
I start about October 25 they are still early then but good enough. Adults prime up around NOvember 15 and pups shortly after. After about November 10 tye leather won't be blue anymore

Originally Posted By: MuckwaHey Redfrog why would it be blue?
Fur primes based on daylight. Decent coyotes will start around October 25. Full prime coyotes start mid to late November. By about the 10th of November the leather won't be blue anymore

Originally Posted By: MuckwaHey Redfrog why would it be blue?

Sask Trapper's got it.
thumbup.gif

A lot of things in nature are triggered by hours of daylight not weather as many believe. Coyotes killed early for fur will have blue leather. as the furs prime up later in the season, the leather side gets whiter.
So you could have a coyote that seems to have a beautiful coat on and it will make a fine wall hanging but will grade poorly in the fur auction.

The first Predator Masters hunt I attended in Globe AZ.I shot a few coyotes the first day. We were all staying at the motel in Globe and gathering in the parking lot to BS at the end of the day. It looked like a tailgate party.
thumbup1.gif
A great bunch of PM members and all coyote callers talking about calls and rifles and camo and how fast those coyotes can run when they are shot at. Wondrous!!!
thumbup.gif

I was going to do a skinning demo and had brought the best coyote back with me to the motel.I had a bit of a chuckle when some of the guys were commenting on how nice the fur was an this coyote.
To me it looked like a calf killing summer coyote in Alberta.
Around here I wouldn't have bothered picking it up.

I try to wait till the third or fourth week in October, before we get serious about killing coyotes. Some years I'm away guiding for wolves so it's not too hard, but if I'm home it's a struggle to resist letting the air out of a few.

Early in the season there are lots of YOY and the deer hunters haven't been shooting at every coyote they see, so it's easy pickins.

Ontario just closed 40 townships to wolf/coyote hunting, thanks to the Antis. Hopefully it helps push the fur prices up.

For those unfamiliar with Ontario, it's Canada's California. It's almost like California and Ontario have been swapping spit and the STD has rotted their brain.
ohmy.gif

Originally Posted By: Sask trapper
Fur primes based on daylight.

Yep, it's called photoperiodism.
Same for the deer rut, antler development and velvet loss, turkeys gobbling, and pretty much everything that happens seasonally to wild animals.

Redfrog

Your right about the Gov in this Province. Even so our yotes don't prime up worth a darn until mid to late Nov. And they will never compare to Sask/Alta coyotes. We get red ones, yellow ones, brown ones, black ones and every colour in between. They are bigger in body size too but will never come up to those western pales at the fur sales.

Last edited:
Back