1rst report on new Walkers Razor X hearing protection

case-nh

Received them from Midway today. Good idea. Controls: small of course but easy to use. The ear pieces are on extendable chords that retract into the unit by a button on each side. Spring operated, kind of like an electric chord real. Could be the weak link in the future. Might have been better if they left them just hanging out of the neck unit. The left one on mine didn't have any sound in it till I pulled on the chord a little then in operated. It would mostly work but would cut in and out when extending or retracting. Sending it in for and exchange. If the spring operated chords hold up and the connection between the reel and the chord works should be really nice. Volume control worked well. There on sale there and are all sold out now but said they should have more on the 27th. Already have a single game ear that works well but just went with one which doesn't give me directional hearing. Thought this would be really nice as it is not very expensive and has a rechargeable battery. If if works and holds up well they have hit at least a triple if not a home run in my opinion. Am a little skeptical because of the low price but will see. Playing guinea pig for now.

If you have time for a few questions regarding your new Walker's:

1. Did you have any problems with them in regards to them sitting on your shoulders, such as noise or cord length. Did it interfere with your face cover?

2. Is the rechargeable battery user replaceable?

3. Did you get the Bluetooth version?

Hope Midway is able to get you a new pair quickly. I like the concept, especially for hot weather. Please keep us posted on your experience with them.

Sat around my neck nicely. Don't see any interference issues. Didn't get the blue tooth model. Good question on the battery. Didn't check that out and returned it next day.

Last edited:
I don't think so on the battery. They sit around the neck fine, the part that hangs around the neck is rubbery and flexible, so it's fine on comfort and sits nice.

The volume works but the range seems off to me, really doesn't seem to magnify my hearing much. But I'd have times when I'd hear someone talking I couldn't see, then times when I'd be near someone moving around and I couldn't hear them, all on max volume. It's odd.

I'll also say that, like other sub $200 walker units I've used, you get the "waterfall" in the ear sound as you turn the volume up.

The directional hearing is neat, but it is a bit odd, like the magnification of volume, seems it may be a bit finicky in how it likes to work.

I did charge them to make sure it wasn't a low battery causing the static noise.

Overall, useable at best. I didn't care to go for the Bluetooth either

Got my replacement ones back from Midway. May not have as much volume increase as my game ear but don't really need that much volume. Have actually put my silicon tip from my game ear on (fits great) instead of their foam ones. Fits in my ear much better and quicker. Bought there little variety pack to get extra ones. If any one wants to go this route I have extras and would trade any in the variety pack for the large silicon one. Will try to use it soon. Like everything about it. Hope it holds up.

Tried them out last night. Worked well. Had some howling back at me and should have pulled them out to see how well having them in both ears worked for direction. Will remember to do that if it happens again. Had plenty of volume I think. Could hear frogs I couldn't hear without them and cars going down a distant gravel road.

I've been looking at these ever since I saw an ad for them in an email. I've been reading comments about them on some sites that sell them. One guy said that the pick up the wind noise and that annoyed him. I want something like this as it looks nice and it's something I would like to have IF and only if they work. Other reviews I read said that the wires break as they are being retracted or extended and they are small gage wires. I have a Samsung Level U that I wear and listen to music from my smartphone. It's Bluetooth and has a rechargeable battery inside the neck piece. It's very similar in design to the Walker Razor X thing your reviewing. I use my level to make and receive telephone calls on my smartphone too. I'm new to Bluetooth stuff so it took me a while to figure out how to setup and connect the Level U devise to my smartphone but now I got that figured out and use the Level U devise on a daily basis. They put small "O" rings on the neck piece to helps hold the wires next to the neck devise. I can adjust the position of the two "O" rings by moving them nearer to where the wires exit the plastic neck thing or farther towards the tip of the plastic neck piece. These "O" rings help absorb any stress on the wire connections I guess. So far I've had them for about a month and the only problem I had was that they would shut off after a while at times. Maybe the battery was run down. I just charged them back up with the little mini USB connection. They come with the USB cord about 12" long and it has a regular USB connector on one end and the mini use connector on the other end of the cord. I can charge it up in the car with a cigarette lighter/USB plug in thing or in the house. My Samsung Galaxy Note4 came with a fast USB plug in charger that works with a regular household electrical plug. 115/120lt 50/60 Hz or something like that.

I was actually wanting to buy the Walker Razor Xv set with the Bluetooth included as I want to listen to music using my Smartphone. I normally wear a head set from Sony or Radio Shack that has a radio for music. But when I'm driving to the range I get too far away from my favorite FM radio Station and lose the channel about 1/2 the way to the shooting range. So I would love to have a headset with ear plugs that works with Bluetooth to my smartphone. I'm trying to just lose the FM Radio Headset as it's a pain in the neck when I'm also wearing the Samsung Level U head thing. The wires on the Level U get wrapped around the ear phones on the Sony Headset and then it's a mess.

The Sony Radio Headset AM/FM runs on a small AAA battery and I've had them for 5 years or more now. I have two of the Sony radio headsets. But they don't cancel loud noise at the shooting range so I can't wear them while at the range. I take them off and leave them in the truck when get to the Shooting range and put on my hearing protection electronic ear muffs. Howard Leigh type. The HL type had a plug in for a 3.5 mm cord so that I could hook up a small Sony clip on the belt radio. I got some wires with the proper plugs to connect the HL ear muff so the small Sony AM/FM radio. But I hate the wires getting in the way.

I love portable wireless devises.

I'd go with the new Razor XV device but I've read some bad reviews about how the mic's don't always work and that the pick up wind noise too much. I guess I'll just wait for a while to see if they can make something that works better.

I read where Samsung makes a Level Pro unit now. I'm wondering if I can wear the little ear buds under my Howard Leigh Ear Muffs and get the best of both worlds? That might actually work. Then I can listen to people talk at the range, get the loud shooting noises cancelled out, receive phone calls on the smart phone and listen to music on the smartphone. That is my goal right now.

Been using mine with good success. I guess I have not experienced anything to bad with wind noise but I haven't been out in very windy conditions. Have been doing all my hunting at night. There battery life rating is a little generous. I think max time with mine is there low end estimate. Also; as I recognize this is not a high dollar unit, I'm careful with its use. I don't let the ear buds snap back into place but hold and let them retract slowly. So far very pleased with the unit. Gives me ear protection and directional hearing at a very reasonable cost. Yet to see how long they hold up and how they do this winter. Should have my first suppressor then but still think I might be wearing protection.

Back