Hornady Coyote 00 buck Mossberg 935?

I tried one of H' coyote loads in my 835 and 870.Dont recall off hand which but patterns were pretty bad.I'll check the shot size later and get back.

Lousy in my Beretta regardless of choke, gave them away, same with their Coyote BB, tried the new Winchester Varmint BB, much better

Originally Posted By: GCWhy choose the 00 Buck?

No reason,I've always used 4 buck but thought I try this. Got a case of it now,cant imagine it wont atleast roll a coyote.

The choke I normally use is a .710,thinking I will go up a few sizes.

It will roll a coyote no doubt... if you can consistently get two or three of those big blue whistlers in the vitals. I never liked anything above #1 Buck because of the pellet count situation. Good luck with your project and good hunting!

I have never shot a coyote with 00 buck. So take this how you want. I never have been able to get the stuff to patten worth nothing. But when i was younger I got a couple deer and both were about 20 yards. Those deer both had holes from their neck to back hip. Killed the deer as dead as anything though. Coyote might be to small to catch pellets like a deer. I don't know since I've never tried. Just throwing that out there.

It was the BB load.I tried several chokes in the 835.All bad.Only have the non rifled slug barrel for the 870.Patterned worse than the 835.IMO you're far better off with something else.At least as far as our guns go.

Starting to sound like a bad idea,I just had it in my head 00 buck wouldn't get sucked up as easily as 3.5" 4 buck.Not a big big deal,I can switch back at anytime.

Hornady has a "coyote" load that is 00 Buckshot, go figure??? Makes you wonder what NON hunter new product development person thought of this idea???

Originally Posted By: ackleymanHornady has a "coyote" load that is 00 Buckshot, go figure??? Makes you wonder what NON hunter new product development person thought of this idea???

lol. so true.

seems like predator hunters are easy prey for anything that says coyote or predator in the advertising. if it has a picture of a coyote or bobcat on packaging it is a sure thing.

I work with a guy that only shoots the Hornady 00 buck in a 20" barrel and swears by it. I've been wanting to try it but haven't had a chance.

Originally Posted By: KingzeroI work with a guy that only shoots the Hornady 00 buck in a 20" barrel and swears by it. I've been wanting to try it but haven't had a chance.

Yeah alot of chatter but not from anyone who's used it...I'm not giving up on it yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ultramagOriginally Posted By: KingzeroI work with a guy that only shoots the Hornady 00 buck in a 20" barrel and swears by it. I've been wanting to try it but haven't had a chance.

Yeah alot of chatter but not from anyone who's used it...I'm not giving up on it yet.

lol. ok, ok. i will confess. i tried 00buck years and years ago. (like 30 years ago). 00 was cheap and easy to get. i did not know much about using shotguns for coyotes back in those days. used it in a rem 11-87 with a 26 inch barrel. tried numerous different rem factory chokes. made a lot of coyote yelp, and limp off. never recovered very many.

tried 4 buck. big improvement. these days i like plated bb about the best of all. if it is the heavier than lead bb, that is better yet.

but maybe none of this helps you either because the gun was not a mossberg 935.

I've run 00 000 #1 buck #4 buck and BB in 2 3/4" thru 3 1/2". From most of the major manufacturers and the best most effective I've found is #4 buck Winchester 3.5" followed closely by #4 buck Winchester 2 3/4". Both pattern extremely well. I prefer the higher velocity and higher pellet count of the 3.5". The 00 and 000 carried more down range energy but once the pattern opened a bit I was finding almost coyote sized holes in it. Resulting in wounded runners requiring 2nd or even 3rd follow up shots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ultramagOriginally Posted By: KingzeroI work with a guy that only shoots the Hornady 00 buck in a 20" barrel and swears by it. I've been wanting to try it but haven't had a chance.

lol. ok, ok. i will confess. i tried 00buck years and years ago. (like 30 years ago). 00 was cheap and easy to get. i did not know much about using shotguns for coyotes back in those days. used it in a rem 11-87 with a 26 inch barrel. tried numerous different rem factory chokes. made a lot of coyote yelp, and limp off. never recovered very many.

tried 4 buck. big improvement. these days i like plated bb about the best of all. if it is the heavier than lead bb, that is better yet.

but maybe none of this helps you either because the gun was not a mossberg 935.

The 935 is a strange creature because of the 10 gauge barrel for sure...

Originally Posted By: 338fanI've run 00 000 #1 buck #4 buck and BB in 2 3/4" thru 3 1/2". From most of the major manufacturers and the best most effective I've found is #4 Winchester 3.5" followed closely by #4 Winchester 2 3/4". Both pattern extremely well. I prefer the higher velocity and higher pellet count of the 3.5". The 00 and 000 carried more down range energy but once the pattern opened a bit I was finding almost coyote sized holes in it. Resulting in wounded runners requiring 2nd or even 3rd follow up shots. Win 3.5" 4 buck is what I normally use aswell. Nickel plated 00 sounded like something I needed to try...lol

If you are talking about number 4 buckshot, please say or write number 4 buckshot. #4 shot is for birds.

Number 4 buckshot can kill a coyote with one pellet if your lucky. 00 buckshot can kill a coyote with one pellet if your lucky.

Since number 4 buckshot loads have almost three times more pellets per shell than a 00 buckshot load of the same weight, I would choose the load with almost 3 times more pellets in it.

Back