First and possibly last post.

joeylaw85

I have been trapping for a short while with some success. Mostly coyotes and coons. The girl that I have been dating for around 3 years dad called me a few months ago with a raccoon problem. They are getting into the house and tearing things up. This all started because a door was left open and they found the pet food. I set out live traps with marshmallows and removed quite a few. The coons are no longer tricked by the traps so last night I decided to bring a few dog proof traps. I set them with marshmallows like I always do. The first night out the pet cat decided to pull out the marshmallow. All this time I have never gotten the cat in the live traps. Broken front leg. Hopefully they can save the leg. Me on the other hand. I might not survive this one. Wish me luck guys.

Don't know what else you've used for bait with the dp, but if it was fish or fish oil, then the cat may have smelled that, even though you had a sweet bait this time. Just make sure next time it's a clean trap before adding the sweet bait. Found out this little issue when I started using them and only had one cat in 18 years.

maybe a mouse was trying to still your marshmallow and the cat thought he would get it out for you. i cant believe it broke its foot though. i stick my fingers in mine with no damage. you must have had ether swivels lock up or the initial lunge of it getting caught was really strong and the chain didn't have a shock spring on it to absorb that sudden jar

if you're going to set traps where the homeowners have pets around, you need to advise them that while the traps are there they need to keep their pets under tighter control so that incidents like this dont happen. as noted, traps dont know the difference, they just do what they're designed to do - catch stuff that gets in them.

good luck with your situation

I used to nuisance trap in the city, where the tree hugging granola crunching cat owners live.
scared.gif

I used a plywood box with one end closed, and a 220 conibear in it. Attach to a fence with the open end down and about 6 inches or so off the ground.At this height a cat oor a raccoon must roll over on it's back to access the bait. A cat won't but a coon will.Make the trap big enough to accommodate a 220 and about 20-inches long. Set the trap within 6 inches of the opening. Bait tray on the other end.Make the closed in so you can access the bait tray. Use an apple slice, jujubes or marshmallows etc for bait.

Back