My new 204 Build

Now that I have a few rounds down the barrel I was checking how it was grouping these where 5 shot groups

[img:center]http://[/img]

looks like you have a shooter.

whats the distance on those groups?
smile.gif

Nice build

Hows the reliability? Always spooks me from trying an "alternate" caliber in an AR. I guess the SLR block takes care of any issues.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiNice build

Hows the reliability? Always spooks me from trying an "alternate" caliber in an AR. I guess the SLR block takes care of any issues.

i would hardly call a .204 ruger an "alternate" ar caliber.

it performs quite nicely in the system
smile.gif
i doubt you'd even need an adjustable block for one.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiNice build

Reliability is great as long as you run the correct mags for the OAL of the cartridge which is for me has always been a LANCER mag the Magpul does not have enough room in its factory form but guys file them and say they work. I just find it easier to buy a mag that works from day one this is my 2nd 204 in AR form and will never not have one.

Last edited:
I thought I was done with the AR bug till I talked with a member last night and he got me to thinking if I don't get one soon, there may not be a later. So off to the gun show I went. I took my Steyr which I really hadn't had very long and wasn't going to take a beating on it. One guy that was a legitimate dealer, if there is such a thing, had an AR that was a fresh build in 204Ruger. He uses X-Caliber barrels and this one has a 24" 1-11, three groove. Did a trade that made us both happy and now, I'm back into AR's again. I have 39gr. BK's and 40gr. V-Maxs loaded with 8208 for barrel break in and zeroing the scope. Guess we will see what it does!!

Not sure on the OAL that you can run in them have always shot factory ammo but will be reloading for it very soon I can check with calipers tomorrow if you would like.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDoes the Lancer mag let you seat the bullets out farther? My 39 BK's are really setting deep in the case.

The ones I have seen look pretty standard at 2.260. You will need to step up to the higher dollar PRI's or the reasonably priced ASC's if you want more elbow room. The ASC's I have are 2.316, these are STAINLESS STEEL not ALUMINUM!!

Greg

I am using 8208 and 39s seated at 1.945 to the o give. I shot a 1 hole 3 shot in my AR and today I shot 10 shot that was a hair over 1 inch with flier, without that one had 9 shots into .385 with a strong breeze at 100 yards... Velocity avg a tad over 3750..

I amusing AR stoner mags that lets me seat out to 2.30..

Last edited:
I used 27 grains of 8208, 7 1/2 primer and 39 BlitzKings. They shot 5 shot groups at 100yds you can cover with a nickle. Hope to tighten it up a little. Going to try some 35 grain Bergers next, maybe some 32 grain V-Max too!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI used 27 grains of 8208, 7 1/2 primer and 39 BlitzKings. They shot 5 shot groups at 100yds you can cover with a nickle. Hope to tighten it up a little. Going to try some 35 grain Bergers next, maybe some 32 grain V-Max too!

You could try seating them out to 2.30 and just chamber one at a time until you get different magazines.. See if tightens your groups up.. I am really amazed how much seating depth adjustments tightens or opens a group up.. As someone said on here, its like trying different powder.. Dan

Back