September Sundown

DakotaBoy

Work has had its share of frustration, so Thursday night , i decided what better relief than to try a familiar spot.
This was my view east , the river lies below the timber , small grain regrowth gave a great opening to watch.
This was my view right, which was facing the light south breeze.A buddy dropped one up the hill ,at the edge of the woods ,in the last year. There is always sign here , and the landowners see and hear coyotes quite often,but the area hasn't produced as well as it looks.
I started off with a few series of male howls , and then switched to female howls . I had a couple responses back after second sets from the woods to the south. then silence.

I tried 2 more female howls , and then tried pup distress , a summer favorite.Somewhere in the 3-5 minute range , I had just scanned the east view and swiveled to check the woods to the south. I saw the movement of a yote under 35 yards. The grass was great cover for him , he got within 20 yards before he decided to back off . I was a bit exposed to move , so I had to let him move back without a quick shot . He paused at the edge of the woods and I knocked him down . It was a bit far back and it took a second shot to finish the deal . 65 yards for a good sized male.

k
313DEDC5-1F1F-449C-8129-ED2AD235BED0_zps6twspkyt.jpg
[/URL
He had a good dental plan.

This was the first yote with a Tikka 22-250 I picked up this summer. The can is a Mack Varminter 3.0
[url=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/patbarnett1/media/2B54C647-AD3A-45EF-B828-CE57224CC2CC_zpsovv7hsa6.jpg.html t=_blank]

It was good to pull another out of a spot that has potential like this area .I met the landowners on the drive out, they were happy !

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

I like the looks of that spot a lot, might be the stretching but that coyote sure looks healthy. as healthy as dead is anyway.

Back