.223 grain for hunting coyotes

Originally Posted By: MNyoteHunterAnyone shooting heavy hollow points? Like 77 grain?

Ive shot a few with 82 gr Bergers out on my 1 in 8 twist Tikka Varmint..it smacked them hard with a small entry and no exit. I only have shot them with this bullet on summer trips to the range...target of opportunity lol

I use the black hills 52 grain match hp. been calling many years and never had any problem with animals running off.

i've called coyotes with the 223 since I was 21 years old. I am now 61. Over the past 40 years I have used every grain of bullet from 35 grain to 75 grain. I have had runners with every grain bullet except the Sierra 65 grain game King. Because of the lead tip you have to be a little more careful when unloading a live round to keep from deforming the tip. I have two ARs and a tikka all with 8 inch twist they all shoot under MOA with The game King

My general go-to, one size fits all load is a 60 grain V-Max over 21.8 of Reloder 10x. Has been 1 moa or better in every rifle I've tried it in. My latest AR prefers a 50 grain V-Max over 23.5 of Reloder 10x. Shoots under 1/2 moa. Both loads have proven effective in dropping them in their tracks.

I'm in the same boat as the op. My go to it the 60 vmax and the 65 sgk. Tried the 60 partitions with very bad results. Tried 4 different powders with nothing less the 1.5" at 100.

50 & 55g vmax since about the second they hit the market.
Throughout the 70s till that time a 50g JSP was the wonder worker in all the .223s I had.

60 nosler ballistic tips are what comes out of my remington 783. I'm putting em over 24.5 grains of hogdon 4198 powder. They've done a good job on some coyotes, deer, and a hog or two. Purty accurate too.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Back