AR Sight Question

quackrack

I realize this is a wide open topic with a ton of variables and opinions.

I am far from a gun or optics expert, and really a little lost at where to begin in this process. I'm looking for some insight into a sight for my AR.

I really like the Trijicon Acogs, I would like something that's in between a hunting and personal protection sight. Not sure if this makes any sense, my intent is not to get a sight that is primarily designed for hunting, as I already have those on other rifles.

Any help or feedback on these sights or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

have you considered something like a 1-4x variable power optic?

this kind of gives you the balance between a no (or low) magnification optic for personal defense - or just general close zone plinking with fast target acquisition , but still the ability to up the power a bit to use it for short to mid range hunting if you wanted to do so.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I need to look into these more. Is there a any particular brand, and or sight you would recommend over another?

Again appreciate the insight.

Burris Tac30/MTAC, Vortex PST/Strike Eagle, SWFA SS, Primary Arms...that's all I can recall right now. Look for something with 1x on the low end, not 1.5x.

Last edited:
Not sure what your intent is for the sights, but for my HD rifles, I have various Vortex(small dot) models, co-witnessed with Magpul MBUS sights, in case the red dot fails. I shoot around 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards with these rifles, so that would even be plenty good for 200 yard shots on hogs/deer/coyotes. Mine are actually intended for closer work, for threats that may shoot back, but they will make decent hunting rifles for heavy cover situations.

Squeeze

I put a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on my boss AR10 and really like it. It was on sale with a vortex mount for $300 i think?
Another one i really like is the Vortex PST 1-4, but i dont have one yet.
Besides those i use a Aimpoint M2 4moa red dot on one of my rifles for carbine matchs and it is my favorite but i do prefer a scope majority of the time.

The optic is for the shooter, dependent upon what he wants/needs to be able to see based on his application.

So... You said something between hunting and self defense:

Hunting what game at what ranges? Are you hunting bunnies in creek bottoms, or prairie dogs?

Self Defense at what ranges? Are you talking about sweeping your townhouse for a bump in the night, or warding off zombies as they approach your bunker from 300-600yrds?

If you like the ACOG - what's stopping you from getting that?

An alternative that I have is a model 512 Eo-Tec with a 3x optic...That way I have the standard Holo sight for anything within 100 yards and the 3x magnification if I need to go out past that...

Back