6.5 grendel ???'s

deaddogwalkin

Ok I am going to be building a pair of 6.5 Grendel's. One for me and one for my son's HS graduation present. I know that they will be running suppressed. I know that I don't want to have the barrel very long. I have not made my mind up on what barrel brand. I already have a 6mmwoa and a r25 in 243 and don't want to lug around anything as heavy as the r25. It will be used for yote hunting and ringing steel and future whitetail hunting out to 300-400yds with the right bullet. So here are my questions 18in or 20in barrel. What twist rate should I be looking at. Looks like there are only 2 choices 1-9 and 1-8. Most of the shooting will be at yotes and ringing steel. So help me with your info. Thanks

I believe an 8 twist will be fine for anything you would ever shoot. The 18" will get it done for you and a 20" is not needed for this one to talk for you IMHO.

If you must have a Grendel I would look at AA but they just do complete uppers I believe. Satern does some but I don't know about delivery. Be aware they also produce the infamous Grendel II.

If you want something for factory ammunition and are not a "purist" the BHW 264 LBC would also fit the barrel need and they are available from your sponsor here at a smoking price.

Greg

check out x-caliber barrels. They are really making a name for themselves and I know a lot of people on here likes them a lot! They use brand new state of the art equipment. Very good price as well.

I've seen several Odin Grendel barrels that shot extremely well. My son's will shoot 3/8" groups with Hornady SST & A-Max handloads.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanI've seen several Odin Grendel barrels that shot extremely well. My son's will shoot 3/8" groups with Hornady SST & A-Max handloads.

Have you heard about the recall they put out on some of their Grendel barrels last week?

Greg

Last edited:
Jason builds quality uppers in 6.5 Grendel:

Predator Technology

His display name here is SnowmanMo, shoot him a PM with questions. I had him build one for my wife's rifle & we're very pleased with it.

Last edited:
you will love the Grendel, I have been shooting 1 for a bout a month. bought it from Alex Pro Firearms, shoots Amax sub MOA all day, and shot AA 120 gr noslers even better. trying to load my own now.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had already kind of made my mind up with the 20in barrel and 8 twist. Just wanted to get some backing that I was going about it right. Have not made my mind up yet on barrel brands yet. It will be a few more weeks before I pull the trigger on them.

8A1812C1-EB2B-4818-ACB0-C8BBAEE05B2B_zps6oucixjh.jpg

Thats a 1-9 twist P3 from Black Hole with the load mentioned above. I don't feel like a 1-8 is needed in the Grendel, but thats just me. You really only need a 1-8 to stabilize a 140 and thats too big of pill to be shooting in the grendel case. 123's and 130's are about as big as you wanna shoot to get decent velocity.

I got this group, and several more like it, last night using 120 grain A-Max and 27.5 grains of 8208. It's from a 20" BHW 1:9 twist .264LBC barrel.

Small%20Group%209-14-16%201_zps9shd7zx1.jpg

Last edited:
Back