300 blackout deer rifle?

But he's right, that law is ignorant! They have created a cluster f$&k of rifle laws in the last few years. There's no reason a 30-06 should be legal but not a 25-06...

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanWow.... that is ignorant. Mississippi we have no caliber restrictions.

We just had any centerfire become legal in Kansas in the last few years too. Sold all my 6x45 stuff and just went back to 5.56 AR's

Originally Posted By: springerThe 30-30 has killed a lot of deer, but it's kind of on the weaker side, and the 300 Blackout is even weaker.

Yep the 30/30 bounce off most deer, yet millions that have actually shot deer with them at sane ranges find them to be very effective.

I have killed well over 300 deer with about any combination handgun, mzldr, rifle, shotgun whatever. Deer are not that hard to kill. Poke a hole in the vitals and they fall over a very short time later (how long that time is, is more of a derivative of shot placement & tissue damage than caliber).

If your looking to shoot deer beyond 200-300 yards there are way better options out there than the 30/30 or the 300BO. However, inside 150 yards a 30/30 or 300BO is every bit as lethal as a 300WM. The 125gr nosler, 110 vmax, kill deer very efficiently in the 300BO out to ranges it is intended for. I would REALLY like to hear actual experience from people who have actually tried it and think otherwise... I'm not talking one time a bad shot was made, a collective experience (there have been MANY deer lost with 300 wizm, 7mag, 338Win etc so we all know anything CAN go wrong).

Now loaded subsonic: the 300BO, or 50BMG (yes you can load one of them or even 300 Weatherby down below the sound barrier too just like the BO), most bullets lack the make-up to expand and kill very poorly without the energy & shock from speed. So yes, here it is a diminutive cartridge that lacks power. However, with very good shot placement and/or some of the projectiles designed to expand sown to 900fps (lehigh, maker, outlaw,etc) they can work. Not sure why anyone would want to do this without a suppressor though... If your going to make noise, the 125 nosler @ 2100 does way better job. A 180 gr Nosler at 3000 form a magnum works too but not linear as some would think.

Personally, I only use my 300BO with subs and a can & that's about it. It's a niche at best. (Almost like bow or handgun hunting during rifle season...) Even with supers/full power loads, there are better options out there to deer hunt with (as stated bluntly) if you can see farther than you can hit a pitching wedge. But to say that the 300BO is worthless to deer hunt at any range, is rather ill-informed.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: springerThe 30-30 has killed a lot of deer, but it's kind of on the weaker side, and the 300 Blackout is even weaker.

Yep the 30/30 bounce off most deer

If you need to mis-interpret someone's post to create a strawman to react to, I'm not seeing why I should read any further.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: ed# 5well i've listened to the advice,got a 300 BO upper on the way...
Good luck Ed, give us a range report & kill pics, TIA..

(my 300 BO is a fun-gas-gun, it shoots supersonics very well)

Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: springerThe 30-30 has killed a lot of deer, but it's kind of on the weaker side, and the 300 Blackout is even weaker.

If you need to mis-interpret someone's post to create a strawman to react to, I'm not seeing why I should read any further.
thumbdown.gif

Nothing personal, sorry you took it that way, but nothing about the 30/30 is "weak" for deer sized critters.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: springerThe 30-30 has killed a lot of deer, but it's kind of on the weaker side, and the 300 Blackout is even weaker.

thumbdown.gif

Nothing personal, sorry you took it that way, but nothing about the 30/30 is "weak" for deer sized critters.

amen. the 30-30 has killed more deer in michigan than any other caliber, and probably more than several other calibers combined!

Just my 2 cents but I have killed two deer in TN last year with my blackout and I love it. Most the places I hunt the shots are within 200 yrds so its great for me. Popped one at about 60 yards and never twitched ( High shoulder and it exited) and the other at 140ish. It was right behind the shoulder, full pass thru it made one hop and died with a 3/4" exit hole. this is with my 110 tacx barnes I hand loaded. Its a fun little round and I am more than happy I built me one.

Recently bought a couple of 300 Blackout uppers to use with my AAC 762-SD when it gets out of jail.

I'll use one and my youngest daughter will likely use one unless she prefers her old single shot 243.

Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: NonnieselmanWow.... that is ignorant. Mississippi we have no caliber restrictions.

MS has different topography and population density.

This is what happens when an ignorant legislature takes the place of the DNR. The law, the way it was worded when passed, was completely illogical as the "cartridges" they designated were not real designations.

Essentially, after the legislature made their play, the DNR gave up, threw up their hands, and opened it up to everything in the calibers of the "cartridges" the law designated. Which is how we ended up in this Frankenstein situation.

Some people do not understand that a rifle bullet going 3,000 fps from a .243, .270, .223 is much safer that a 1 ounce slug chuck of lead going 1,600 FPS.
It is what happenes when those who are governing have no business governing and or making those decisions.

I can remember watching a propaganda show about this topic in the late 80s early 90s some time on Dateline NBC or 60 minutes or some such propaganda tv show talking about the dangers of centerfire rifles in the hands of deer hunters. LOL

Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: NonnieselmanWow.... that is ignorant. Mississippi we have no caliber restrictions.

MS has different topography and population density.

This is what happens when an ignorant legislature takes the place of the DNR. The law, the way it was worded when passed, was completely illogical as the "cartridges" they designated were not real designations.

Essentially, after the legislature made their play, the DNR gave up, threw up their hands, and opened it up to everything in the calibers of the "cartridges" the law designated. Which is how we ended up in this Frankenstein situation.

Some people do not understand that a rifle bullet going 3,000 fps from a .243, .270, .223 is much safer that a 1 ounce slug chuck of lead going 1,600 FPS.
It is what happenes when those who are governing have no business governing and or making those decisions.

I can remember watching a propaganda show about this topic in the late 80s early 90s some time on Dateline NBC or 60 minutes or some such propaganda tv show talking about the dangers of centerfire rifles in the hands of deer hunters. LOL

Under the new regs, a 300WM is now legal. I've personally been present when a 300WM with 2 different types of legal hunting bullets was fired at a shallow angle (prone) through a target in a flat, plowed field. One type of bullet opened easily and was found within 50 yards down range of the target. The other consistently survived contact with the ground, skipped, and several ended up passing over the head of someone 1.5 miles downrange.

A 12 gauge slug or a 44Mag are physically incapable of this.

There is a sound reason for regulations regulating centerfire rifle rounds in certain areas. With all due respect, given my personal experiences, I give zero credence to those who think otherwise. Mississippi is not northern Indiana or southern Michigan, where the terrain can be mirror flat with hunters only 200-300 yards apart from each other and population density much higher and few trees. In my home county this summer, we have had 3 instances of people shooting centerfire rifles without berms and putting bullets into houses a half mile or more away. This happens with decent frequency, but I can't recall a single instance of this happening with what has been, to this date, legal deer rounds. And you'd think people practice with those.

With centerfire it's all about bullet selection. Which the regs don't cover, other than no FMJ.

ya... i sure wouldnt want half the idiots who hunt in SE Michigan to be out in the woods/fields with high powered centerfire rifles. way to easy to get a ricochet due to careless shooters and end up putting a round into someone's living room.

a shotgun slug might bounce for 2 or 300 yds, but after a couple contacts with the dirt (or other objects) its lost a LOT of its gusto.

while i'm glad they opened up the 'restricted zone' here in SE Michigan to some centerfire rifles i'm glad they limited it they way they did for the very same reasons (straight walled pistol cases between 1.6 and 1.8", 35 caliber or larger)

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneya... i sure wouldnt want half the idiots who hunt in SE Michigan to be out in the woods/fields with high powered centerfire rifles. way to easy to get a ricochet due to careless shooters and end up putting a round into someone's living room.

a shotgun slug might bounce for 2 or 300 yds, but after a couple contacts with the dirt (or other objects) its lost a LOT of its gusto.

while i'm glad they opened up the 'restricted zone' here in SE Michigan to some centerfire rifles i'm glad they limited it they way they did for the very same reasons (straight walled pistol cases between 1.6 and 1.8", 35 caliber or larger)

I don't see how y'all hunt in some of the more populated states. Would definitely make me nervous.

thankfully my hunting ground is up north of the restricted zone - so i dont usually have to deal with it. Its all private property for miles around in any direction.

there is quite a bit of farmland in southern michigan, but much of it still has homes nearby, and there's a large (4000+ acre) patch of state land just a few miles from here thats all but surrounded by subdivisions that a bunch of folks hunt. its in areas like those that make me feel understanding of the regulations surrounding the caliber restrictions. i can easily see things going afoul from someone hunting the state land and winging a high powered bullet out towards one of the subs.

Back