#5 Brux vs #5.5

CZ527

I need a little advice...

I had a #5 Brux ready to be installed and I wanted it cut at 22.5" and threaded 5/8x24 (direct thread suppressor.)

The smith I plan to use said he would not thread the barrel 5/8x24 unless it was .750 at the muzzle.

My stock is a game scout, so I can't go to a #6 or a Krieger 5 Plus, which is pretty much a #6. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to carry it anyway.

I have two options.... Have Brux turn me a hybrid, like the Krieger 5.5, which I understand is a 5 for the breech end and a 6 up front.

-OR-

Have Brux turn me a #5 that simply maintains .750 to the muzzle.

I like the idea of a .750 diameter maintained to the muzzle more than the 5.5 contour, but would it be noticeable?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to chop the barrel down to like 20.5", and I don't think I want to do that. I want it 24" all up with a brake, because truthfully I won't use the can much anyway.

All ears.... Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanHow about an using an adapter?

I hate to do that to a rifle I've got so much invested in. There may or may not be anything wrong with it, but in my head it's not right. I hope you know what I mean. Just don't want any extra links in the chain.

Also, before anyone says it, RVC barrels are a little too much for me, and look a little large in the game scout for my liking.

Of the two options I listed, which do you think is the wiser, Keith?

Last edited:
Have you looked at a Light Palma? It tapers quick but keeps the beef out at 22". I have one sitting waiting on a stock from Manners (for a carry rifle). Jeff (FW707) has one in a classic stock (the forarm size on your GS) and said it matches about perfect for it.

Compared to the RemVarm contour, the Light Palma a little smaller. If you look at the weight for them on barrel maker websight, they seem a little heavy but note that is at the LONG length. Cut off it's pretty reasonable.

Yes I went and looked at a friends light Palma, in a game scout in fact. It just wasn't my cup of tea. The immediate coke bottle like taper turned me off. I'm pretty big on smooth lines in a rifle.

I will say though, that when I was eyeing a little heavier rifle, I liked the idea of a medium Palma in an MCS-TA. The more geometric stock with sharper angles fits that contour very well.

For this project, I'm dead set on a heavy sporter barrel, hence the two options I posted above. I'll be going with one of those two ideas no doubt, just can't make up my mind. In fact, I have to. The stock is cut for a Brux 5 with 1 1/4" shank. The Palma wouldn't work at this point.

Seems like you have a very specific goal in mind

If I was in your shoes, I'd chop that thing to 20", use a can and rock on

I have a 20" in a Gamescout if'n you want some pics

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendSeems like you have a very specific goal in mind

Yes, I think I do want some pics.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWhat does the barrel measure now ?
I have a #5 Brux it's .760" @ 22" with a 1.75" shank.

It's around .740. It's difficult to get an accurate measurement since the blank is still 27". I'm guessing the bolt face will end up 2 3/8" or so behind where the shank ends. Sorry, it's tough to guess the muzzle location.

I'm actually measuring another blank, since that ones not here, but I would assume they'd be identical.

Truthfully, up until now I just took his work for it.

Last edited:
I don't want to give up both what I wanted and some velocity. I really felt that 22.5 was too short to begin with, but livable.

I think you have a 6.5x47 don't you? Would I really give up that much velocity over 2" of barrel?

If we are talking about 25 fps I can live with that.

Sounds like you need another gunsmith. I had my 26" McGowen 6.5-06 barrel made to a Shilen 5.5 contour and my barrel guy had no problems threading it 5/8 x 24 for my suppressor.

He's on the east side of Dallas,Tx. Morgan does a fantastic job on every barrel,and does fast turn around's.He charges $50 to thread a barrel.

http://class3machining.com/

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: Buster HindendSeems like you have a very specific goal in mind

Yes, I think I do want some pics.

Aforementioned 20" in a Gamescout

This barrel started life as a 24" tube
I would rather shoot 20" suppressed as 24" unsupressed, but that's just me

Brux #5 in a GS 24" long and threaded 5/8x24, built by LRI. Now you have me curious to measure mine. I will check it out and post the dimension after work.

Smokin barrel, that looks like a pretty long shank, perhaps that's where the difference came from?

Chad is the one who told me he wouldn't thread anything less than .750 5/8x24.

Actually, Kalli did, but she knows what's up of course.

I'm [beeep] bent on him doing it, so it's either have him chop it or order a new stick.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Very nice rifle Brad. I knew you wouldn't have it if it didn't look right!

What caliber will this be out of curiosity?

Back