Calling Raccoons during the day?

Jason Mehlisch

Am very interested in calling coons during day, but we don't have an abundance of forests. Anyone have luck calling sloughs and if so what's the trick? Any info would be appreciated. ND. Thanks.

We've called them out of abandoned buildings, junk/brush piles, and standing corn fields. Got the idea for cornfields while helping a guy harvest and seeing just how many were in there during the day. By our November season around here, most of the corn is picked, so they really tend to pack into the ones that are left. Anywhere there is fresh sign is worth a shot.

I usually start with coon puppies at about half volume, play for a couple minutes, then crank it and start coon fight for a couple. If nothing has worked, or I get a "peeker" I'll usually try coon distress for 30 seconds or so before I call it a set.

Watch out for the calm days.......we have sent a shooter ahead to a good area full of den trees , 150 yards from a set , and he had four coons coming out of trees that far away. This means you are having coons leave trees ahead of your hunting and when you get to the next spot , nothing shows because they have already moved to different trees ahead of you. You walk and hunt and wonder why nothing is showing from these great looking den trees !!! And we have seen fur showing from a broken stub right up in a tree above us and ran the caller for several minutes on high volume before the coon would wake up and start to move . So you never know but we send one of us ahead a lot more now and get some coons we would otherwise no see . Jim

i go 2 minutes of coon puppies 2 minutes of coon fight and 2 minutes of coon distress varying the volume the whole time usually they show up in the first 3-4 minutes. I've called them from old houses/barns, sloughs, tree piles, tree groves and even junk farm machinery on the edge of a corn field plan on making lots of sets and ALWAYS be ready

I have yet to use a coon fight and not get results. Mind you I live in a county that means raccoon in a Native American language. Not bragging, but I can usually lay eyes on a raccoon within 10 minutes of trying, at night.We are that flush with them. Got #21 last night. I'll use the coon fight call until Foxpro comes out with the marshmallow call.

Last edited:
Back