hornady zmax. hornady vmax. same?

SlickerThanSnot

talking about 32gr hornady bullets. did the masses come to the conclusion they were exactly the same bullet but with different tip colors.

thinking the answer is yes?

i have confirmed from hornady directly that the zmax bullets / ammo are the same items, but with green tips and fancier packaging as the comparable caliber/weight bullet is in non-zmax. when discussing ammo the loads are identical (same powder, primer, brass) as their comparable ammo choice in a non zmax loading.

however that means that a zmax may be an AMAX, a SST, or even a VMAX bullet with a green tip.

for example -

hornady .224 55gr zmax = .224 55gr vmax
hornady .308 168 zmax = .308 168gr amax
hornady .310 123gr zmax = .310 123gr SST

likewise,

hornady 168gr zmax 308 ammo = 168gr amax Hornady Match ammo
hornady 110gr zmax 300 whisper/blackout = 110gr Vmax 300 whisper/blackout ammo.

hth

For the varmint cartridges, the Hornady Z-max is the same as the V-max, the larger calibers are A-max's or SST's, with a few exceptions (as noted above for the 300 blackout).

The good news - if you call Hornady, they'll tell you exactly what is what, in less time it takes to write a thread and wait for a response from those of us who've called before.

Interestingly, the Remington Accu-tips are also Hornady V-max's, as are the Federal American Eagle Tipped Varmint (some with cannelures).

Hornady is getting lots of market usage out of the same product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe good news - if you call Hornady, they'll tell you exactly what is what, in less time it takes to write a thread and wait for a response from those of us who've called before.

well yes. that is good news. wonderful news. will keep that in the back of my head for future questions.

but even better news is plant one had it answered exactly 6 minutes after i asked the question. not sure i could of found the phone number and got somebody at hornady in that amount of time.

thanks for the tip about calling hornady though.
tongue_smilie.gif

i usually e-mail them - tech@hornady.com - and they get back to you in a day on average for all manner of questions. they've always been wonderfully helpful.

personally i dont mind sharing what i've found and taking the few minutes to post it on the forums. if it helps others (besides the person asking) and i've already got solid info from hornady regarding it - i dont mind saving them a few mins - its the least i can do for all the help they've provided me over the last few years with their products
smile.gif

------------------------

for what its worth - discussing hornady stuff thats changed but similar - the ELD-M bullets are just AMAX with the new 'heat shield' tips on them. Otherwise the design spec is the same as the old AMAX stuff. thats why ELD-X got new load data published on the web but there wasnt anythign new for the ELD-M

Quote:
ebfc3a2a091a4382974f6f8640c55407.jpeg

as an interesting note - the Hornady .310 123gr SST is actually sold under at least 3 labels - as a ZMAX (item # 3143), a SST (item # 3142), & a VMAX (Item # 3142g) . (i shoot a LOT of these bullets - and was trying to wade throug the confusion about the 3142g)
e7659352e6164604b9e91ecac96a857d.jpeg

as a side note for something else you might find in hornady bullet weirdness - Hornady loads a selection of its ammo with bullets that have a cannelure, however many usually dont have them when sold as a reloading component.

the 110 vmax is a perfect example. Loaded ammo = bullet with cannelure. Reloading component (bullet only) = no cannelure.

5Qi0YZe.png

23010%2030%20Cal%20.308%20110gr%20V-MAX.jpg

apparently they've found that reloaders for some reason dont (as a general statement) like cannelures on most of their projectiles and they sell a lot less bullets if they put them on the reloading components. im paraphrasing this from a phone conversation where i was trying to find out if i could buy cannelured versions of the 110 vmax. (you can, but only when they show up as blems)

However they use them for safety stuff on loaded ammo (like the 300 whisper/blackout zmax/vmax) for a crimp point to help prevent bullet setback.

624c5acbe4b34ee3a929f49de83ddd92.jpeg

Last edited:
Back