Idaho Coeur d' Alene reservation hunting?

$10 "white man" fee besides your hunting ID license.
I hunt the Res every year w/my son that lives up there.
You will run into chit loads of road hunters. LOTs of atv riders & many will blow by you checking as many spots as possible for deer.
Last year we had a group of four ATVs buzz the area we were making a stalk in thus causing 2 nice bucks and a few does to vanish.
Forget coyotes, even thought they are up there Id have to say each one has been shot at about 2319 times a week.
Deer/elk are there, but they will be hiding in the thick stuff and wont move till you about step on them and when you swing to shoot you will hit a branch in the way.
Lots of private property on the res.
That's the plain basics.
** We do get our 2 deer every year whether its a buck or doe though.**

5spd:
How would you describe the hunting in general in that area? I have a rancher friend who has invited me up to hunt. He says he thinks the hunting is great in that area but he doesn't actually hunt so i was looking some second opinions before I travel all that way.

The Res is IMO hunted pretty hard from my experiences, but we have always got our deer.
Don't expect to see big 6 pointers, but I do see a few 5 pointers and 4 pointers & usually they are running off from another hunter spooking them. Don't expect a 80 deer day and you should be good to go. Hunt early AM or early/late eve. More Does than bucks. Those whitetails don't mess around if they are spooked, gone over the hill they will be.
If you can get away from the road and atv guys it is fairly decent, deer/elk are very skittish come October.
Google Plummer ID or where you friend is and you can see the area better than I can describe.
Lots of wide open farm agri-lands & then tons of groups of trees where they will be in.
If your friend lives on the Res you may have better luck around the ranch trees, gullys etc.
I have seen opening weekends with almost every hi way pull out full of vehicles.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can hunt out there. Just cough up some cash to one of the local places in CDA or Plummer. I'll be doing it soon enough again. I know this post is a bit old, did you have any luck from when it was originally posted? Keep your head down on opening day if on the Res... its like a war zone out there.

Back