When a man needs help

Tnslim

If any of you guys ever hear some old geezer say, "I'm gonna tear up all the carpet, pad, tack strips, staples, base boards, paint the entire inside of my house, install new hardwood all thru the house and I'm gonna do it all by myself because I'm retired and have nothing better to do", then throw that idiot a life preserver as he has definitely gone off the deep end. I have seriously underestimated my advanced age. My house is a wreck, my living room is mostly in the kitchen and my old tired butt is already worn out and nowhere near half way done. The smart move would have been to get on the phone and hear someone answer, Hello, this is Acme Painting Service and then book a two week vacation. Hope I'm done by Christmas......this year's Christmas.

Sometimes a man must simply know his limitations. I'm in the same boat and it looks like I only have one oar in the water.

I thought it would be great to do some upgrades before the weather goes sideways. Got a good start and now hunting season starts today.

I'm not as good as I once was.LOL

I have lots of projects myself. I have been remodeling 2 homes. Just finished tearing off and roofing one of them. Luckily I used to do remodeling and building for a living so I have the tools and knowledge to do it all.

I have daughter and SIL coming this weekend with the grandkids. He'll get some wiring done in the shop and sheds for us so we have heated waterers for the dogs and chickens etc. I still have windows to upgrade and a roof to get done before the snow flies.

Having moved numerous times and rehabbing several houses, where each project seems to open up three more in the process, and my health issues getting worse, when we moved to FL, we had some extra cash from the sale of our house in MO and I made several phone calls and found a good upgrade carpenter that had been around here for over 25 years...

He even had good working relationships with some of the non-union tradesmen...

He remodeled our 52 year old House with a new kitchen, installed impact resistant windows and doors (this is Hurricane country), remodeled two bathrooms, replaced four exterior doors with steel ones, insulated and sheet rocked my storage shed and still had funds left over for the electrical and plumbing and was several thousand less than other bids we had received...

Once in awhile, God smiles on us..

I've bought and flipped a few houses years ago and thankfully I have the skills and tools to do this project but the older one gets the longer it takes to do anything. I hate to pay somebody to do something I can do but a smart man would have hired it done. Just got to keep plugging along.

I've no problem doing the work, but the recovery time keeps getting longer and longer...

Our mind says yes and the body say what are ya stupid !
scared.gif

TN,
You can tell a tale in a colorful way that gave me a good laugh. I appreciate your humor and way with words. I've been involved in some of the same stuff this summer also and understand. Good luck with your project!

Originally Posted By: GCTN,
You can tell a tale in a colorful way that gave me a good laugh. I appreciate your humor and way with words. I've been involved in some of the same stuff this summer also and understand. Good luck with your project!

I agree...
Did giggle a bit myself.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCTN,

I agree...
Did giggle a bit myself.
laugh.gif

Me To...
I've been thru the same thing sense this spring....

a glimpse into my future. we have rooms that need new carpet & the debate is on over carpet or hardwood, whether I do the work or pay for it, etc.

I'll do the repainting in each room before we do anything about flooring, what ever the final choice is.

So I'm rolling another coat of light grey on the office walls, phone rings and yes it's covered with an old sheet, go to kitchen to answer phone, it's a *^& telemarketer. Stop off at the hall bathroom and take a leak, go back to office to find Otis (the cat) wiping his paint dipped tail on my freshly painted door and door casing, which are white. No great big deal so I yoke him up and head back to kitchen sink to wash the paint from his tail and that's when the fun starts. Otis is a large cat, around 25 lbs and had no interest in getting his tail washed. Claws, teeth, paint and blood, (mine) flying in every direction. Got him cleaned as best as possible and slathered the Watkins petro-carbo on my arms, cleaned the kitchen and finally finished the office. Not exactly the painting help I had in mind. I only have the kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms to go. I'm tempted to nail a for sale sign on one of the front yard maples and sell it as a fixer upper. Lesson learned is once you reach geezer status it's in your best interests to hire this crap done.

We're getting ready to remodel the kitchen, we were eating out and the guy next to us turns out to work for a flooring company, said he does side jobs on the weekends, should be able to knock out the tile floor for a few hundred dollars. I can't do the working on my knees thing anymore. I figured I could take up the old floor and do any sanding and prep so he can come in and knock the tile out.

I'm building new drawers with better sliders for the cabinets, using the existing hardwood faces. I going to try to keep the downtime as short as possible, always the trick.

I'm in the process of digging up a slowly leaking water line connection that is about five feet down and inaccessible to a mini trac hoe. I'm only capable of about a half hour of mud, tree roots and the occasional fist sized rock.

If only I was twenty five again......

A full day's hard work would probably do me in. I'm just taking my time but my house is a wreck with stuff stacked on top of other stuff, but I'm getting there. Hope to be done before Christmas.

I finish all my project right away. Right now I'm about to do a double vanity in our bathroom. The new vanity has been sitting in the master bedroom for about 3 weeks. As soon as the moment is right I'll get started on it and finish right away!!

Back