ELDx or Bergers

Hornady's will be a more forgiving hunting bullet when it comes to performance on game but the Berger's do work but can pencil through if you don't hit an area with some mass. Trimming the meplat will help the Berger's open up. Both are excellent bullets.

It is a older sendero so I think it is a 9 twist, I have 162gr in eldx and 140,168 and 180 in bergers. I have killed a couple elk and antelope with the 140 berger. The range would all depend on where the deer are so close to far! I don't plan to shoot past 600 at game.

Your STW has a pretty healthy amount of horsepower and if you've got enough twist to shoot the 180 Bergers, I'd sure think the 175 ELD-X would make for a good combination also.

As to which bullet is better, Berger or Hornady, I'd say it depends on which bullet theory you align with.

The Bergers are all about penetrating the hide then going off like a grenade creating as large of a wound channel as possible with little concern of weight retention.

Hornady goes more the way of a conventional bullet with that classic mushroom affect and retaining maximum weight retention.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperHornady's will be a more forgiving hunting bullet when it comes to performance on game but the Berger's do work but can pencil through if you don't hit an area with some mass. Trimming the meplat will help the Berger's open up. Both are excellent bullets.

This isnt as true any longer with the newer, hunting intended Berger bullets.

Any of them should serve you well. Stay away from the Berger match (yellow box) stuff and fill the freezer.

The Berger 168g Classics work like a dream in my Remington's 7 MAG with the 9 1/4" twist, 71g of Retumbo, fed 215, Rem brass, seated .01-.020 off the lands, 3100 fps, puts a 3" hole through a deer.

These bullets were designed to be easy to tune, so the BC is a tad less than the ELD-X.

In my custom 7 STW, I shot the 140g Nosler combined technology bullets. The black coating reduced pressure vs naked bullets and I was able to get 3650 with extreme accuracy, 25.5" barrel. Deer have never taken a step with this load, never, and my brother has two of the same. Brother's experience mirrors mine to the T. He shot a 360 lb buck in Kansas at 520 yards, bang flop!

With the 168g berger classic being such an easy bullet to tune, you may want to try some with Retumbo.

Last edited:
I'm having a new 7mm built and Berger or ELD-X are the two I plan to use the most of. For those who have shot both, did you find one to shoot any better than the other?

The Berger 180gr Hunting VLD and Hornady 175gr ELD-X are the two bullets I plan to use most. That new 183gr SMK is a seriously sexy looking SOB but that new tip looks like all it would do is pencil straight through.

Cant say for the 7mm but the Published BCs of the 6mm and 6.5mm ELD-X is NOT what they truly are... Just Say'in... so I would decide on really how far you plan on shooting! Me... I will stick with the Berger and if you got the twist it would be the 180gr VLD...

I know there are a lot of factors that go in to calculating a bullets BC but the 175 ELD-X is a little longer than the 180 Hunting VLD but the 175 appears to have a slightly longer bearing surface which could allow the 180 Berger to shoot a little faster even though it's heavier. For the most part, it sounds like you really can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Probably not.. But the Berger has already proven it self as a Great hunting bullet! The ELD-X may be good to but... time will tell. I do know that you DON'T get a report on steel at distance like the Berger.

I have not seen or shot the ELDx, I shoot Accubonds and Amaxes myself. But over the last few seasons I've seen the result of a number of Berger hunting bullet kills. The animals died, but I can't say I was impressed with the consistency of performance. One would pencil, the next would disembowel. I'll stick with what I trust works consistently.

I shoot a 210 grain berger in my 300wm and i load the 200 grain ELDX for my buddys 300wm.
They are both over kill on whitetail deer.
Saying that, im switching to the ELDX this year to see how they do in my rifle. Thinking about trying the 212grain one.

I worked up loads for my .300 WSM (178s) and my .300 Weatherby (200s) with ELD-Xs.

I was able to achieve very good accuracy with both, but the only thing I've tried to kill so far is steel so I can't speak to the effectiveness on game, but have no doubt they should perform well there too.

wily

Going with the 175 grain ELD-X myself this year over the 180 Hybrid Berger in my 7mm Dakota, IF I can get the Hornady to shoot like I want. Load development is this week.
Will be used for deer, hogs, and elk.

I am going to shoot 175's in my 7mm practical this month.i have a premium elk tag.should be a good test.we had poor results last year with 190.gr bergers on cow elk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehunterI am going to shoot 175's in my 7mm practical this month.i have a premium elk tag.should be a good test.we had poor results last year with 190.gr bergers on cow elk.

Can you please describe your poor results? Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: lyotehunterI am going to shoot 175's in my 7mm practical this month.i have a premium elk tag.should be a good test.we had poor results last year with 190.gr bergers on cow elk.

Are you talking about the Berger 30 Cal 190gr bullet or did you mean the 195gr 7mm Berger bullet???

Originally Posted By: xphunterGoing with the 175 grain ELD-X myself this year over the 180 Hybrid Berger in my 7mm Dakota, IF I can get the Hornady to shoot like I want. Load development is this week.
Will be used for deer, hogs, and elk.

If I recall this build is in a pistol, yes?

I have a 7mm build currently in the works that is a near ballistic twin to the 7 Dakota, the 175 ELD-X and the Hunting 180 Berger are my two top choices so I'll be anxiously waiting to hear the results from your load work up.

Back