52 grain Nosler custom competition for coyotes?

Bowhunt

I have a T/C Venture in 22-250 that prints aspirin size groups with these at 100 yards right around 3600 fps. Haven't done a ton of load development with this rifle but if these work well for coyotes then i don't see a need to look much further. I know these are designated a "target" bullet and there are bullets that would perform better for hunting but if they are effective i would like to use them because the Venture absolutely loves them. Do any of you have any experience in taking coyotes with them?

They performed badly for me and I quit using them immediately after two well-shot coyotes back to back ran off.

I was using a short barreled AR though, at your velocity they may perform better

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntertry 52.HPBT MATCH BULLETS FROM HORNADY OR SIERRA THEY WORK GREAT, I HAVE USED THEM FOR 40 PLUS YEARS THEY WORK.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I have tried 52 grain Hornady HPBT and they shoot really well also. Just looking for some real world results on fur with these "target style" bullets at 22-250 velocities. I should add that i am only planning on using these at 200 yards an closer.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84They performed badly for me and I quit using them immediately after two well-shot coyotes back to back ran off.

I shot ground squirrels and prairie dogs with them and they just blew pencil sized holes through them. Even using my .220 Swift. No good.

In their defense they were made for punching paper not critters and they are accurate to be sure. But I want accurate AND killing power and those Nosler match bullets do not have both. A real pity.

Thanks RD. That is what i was afraid of. I may start working on a load with the 50 grain NBT. My Savage 12fv is almost magic with them and has the same 1 in 12 twist so i should be able to come up with a load that the Venture likes also.

The Sierra #1365 is what you are looking for. Its a 55gr. soft point boattail and a lot of Coyote fur hunters use it.

Originally Posted By: K22The Sierra #1365 is what you are looking for. Its a 55gr. soft point boattail and a lot of Coyote fur hunters use it.

Thanks....I'll have to pick up a box and give them a try.

I shoot the Sierra 55g HPBT (#1390) in my 220 Swift and absolutely love them. In fact, I usually pick up a box of 100 every time I see them just to have plenty in my reloading cabinet. Probably have 1500 rounds of them right now.
They are deadly on coyotes, accurate as can be and I shoot them about 3865 fps. My CDS dial on my Leupold 6.5-20 is built around this bullet and load. I can tell you that as long as I do my job, the bullet hits right where it should.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Hornady makes a 14 twist 52 grain bullet. Give it a try.

Are they a hunting bullet? What do you mean by a 14 twist bullet? Is it one that they recommend for 1 in 14 twist rates?

Last edited:
Shooting target or match hp bullets tend to have a slower terminal expansion. If your rifle likes them use them, the slower expanding hp will really only be a factor on broadside shots that stay off the shoulder and spine. A great fur bullet for 1-12 twist barrels(tc ventures,predators) at 22-250 velocity is the Speer 52 gr hp. Will have very few exits even headshots when shots are under 200 yards, they are pretty easy to work up loads with,start them at 3600-3650.

50 or 55 Ballistic Tips are my favorite coyote bullet in my 22-250s.

One has a 14 twist and the other a 12 twist. I have been loading these since about 2003 and have NEVER had a coyote make a single step with them.

The 50s always shoot a wee bit better than the 55s but the 55s do get more exits, small though so probably just the base of the bullet.

Also had good luck with Sierra #1330, minimal exits but when they do it was about 1 1/2" hole.

Sierra #1365 is an excellent bullet but a bit too tough for my liking, exits every time, no good for the areas I hunt. Even exit the deer I have shot with them.

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomber 50 or 55 Ballistic Tips are my favorite coyote bullet in my 22-250s.

One has a 14 twist and the other a 12 twist. I have been loading these since about 2003 and have NEVER had a coyote make a single step with them.

The 50s always shoot a wee bit better than the 55s but the 55s do get more exits, small though so probably just the base of the bullet.

Also had good luck with Sierra #1330, minimal exits but when they do it was about 1 1/2" hole.

Sierra #1365 is an excellent bullet but a bit too tough for my liking, exits every time, no good for the areas I hunt. Even exit the deer I have shot with them.

Thanks...that's good to know. My Savage Model 12fv in 22-250 loves the 50 and 55 grain NBTs as well. Just started loading them this summer so I haven't been able to shoot any coyotes with them yet.

Originally Posted By: Bowhunt Originally Posted By: MoYoBomber 50 or 55 Ballistic Tips are my favorite coyote bullet in my 22-250s.

Thanks...that's good to know. My Savage Model 12fv in 22-250 loves the 50 and 55 grain NBTs as well. Just started loading them this summer so I haven't been able to shoot any coyotes with them yet.

Just run those 55 Ballistic Tips

Thank me later!!

Back